Talk

Advanced search

Weaning rookie

(14 Posts)
MotherhoodFail Mon 15-May-17 15:13:07

DS is 24 weeks and was doing all the "wean me please" signs, so I started this weekend.

I have boiled/steamed various types of veg and fruit (banana, broccoli, cauli, parsnip, pear, etc) and blitzed it with a small amount of his usual formula. I have tried the veg/fruit on their own and mixed with baby rice/baby porridge. He will take a small smidge off the spoon once, but is not in the least interested after that.

Is this normal? Any good tips to get him interested in food? Am I doing something wrong? He's a massive milk hoover so I am a tad surprised he's playing hard to get on the weaning front. He drinks about 50 fl oz of formula a day and - not surprisingly - gets diarrhea. I thought weaning him on to solids might help that as well.

I do have bloody Ella pouches but I read that it was a mistake to introduce them first because they have a bland flavour and the real thing can be a shock.

TIA flowers

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 15-May-17 17:05:43

I think it's fairly normal, just keep offering and he'll get the hang of it. Offer finger food as well, he might prefer to try and self feed.

CosyPinkBlanket Mon 15-May-17 20:05:16

I'm also a weaning rookie and have a few Ella's Kitchen pouches and, I have to say, the ones we have aren't too bland. I mean, obviously you can taste that there's no salt in them, but some of them are pretty flavoursome. Still no match for home made but it's taken me a while to get used to not cooking with salt and easing up on the garlic and chillies!!! 🌶🌶🌶

arbrighton Mon 15-May-17 22:33:45

He doesn't realise that it's 'food' yet and is going to fill him up.

Keep offering. Don't make a fuss. He'll get there

MotherhoodFail Tue 16-May-17 09:22:04

Thanks for the replies smile

I gave in yesterday and he had a rusk which he seemed to quite enjoy - not surprising really as it's sugary crap! This morning we persevered with a bit of pear. Hopefully I am worrying about nothing!

I will also try the finger food again. Last time he ended up smearing it on his sleeves and then trying to eat them.

And cosy - me too! In my head I imagined I would just blitz whatever DH and I ate, but take out the garlic chilli, salt and wine and there isn't much left! blush

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 16-May-17 09:25:27

Smearing it on his sleeves and trying to eat them is a good start! Just keep offering and he'll work out what to do eventually, there's a lot of learning involved about how to use his hands and mouth.

Tobuyornot99 Tue 16-May-17 09:27:35

My dd took a few weeks to get the hang of eating, it was about 3 weeks from first spoon full to actually swallowing all of what I fed her. Hang on in there, won't be too long and he'll get the hang of it

ScrunchyBook Tue 16-May-17 09:33:47

It's definitely normal, we are 2 months into weaning, but they are showing more of an interest now.
To start with I did the same, mashed up loads of vegetables only for them to totally reject! They did like holding banana and potato and squishing that into their faces.
This week tried baby porridge and that went down well, have bought some Ellas pouches to try too.
I took a couple of weeks break from it shortly after we started and tried again later as I was getting disheartened, it's a slow process for some babies.

BettyOBarley Tue 16-May-17 09:40:08

Yes I agree just keep offering different things along with finger foods. You could freeze your purees in ice cube trays so you can just offer a little at a time.

Ive found with DS (7.5mo) that he goes through little phases as well, one day he'll eat everything in sight and do really well (I'm doing mainly finger foods) then the next day he'll just sit and stare at it as if to say what would you like me to do with that?! grin so just keep going...

Abetes Tue 16-May-17 09:40:50

Baby rice is a good one to start with as it tastes closest to milk as it is really just bulked up milk. If he is a milk hoover, perhaps just try baby rice for a week or so until he has got the hang of eating and then move onto fruit and veg.

arbrighton Tue 16-May-17 10:06:10

@abetes

But there's no nutritional value in baby rice so may as well just stick to the milk and leave other stuff for a week or two

2014newme Tue 16-May-17 10:28:50

Normal. It took 3 weeks before mine took more than a smidge

Abetes Tue 16-May-17 23:02:58

I appreciate that there is no nutritional clue in baby rice but I found that it was a good food to "teach" babies to eat because it is such a familiar taste. Once they learn how to take food off a spoon and more goes in than comes out, it is easier to move onto other foods with new tastes. That was what I found with my dcs.

Zahrah5 Wed 17-May-17 12:57:09

How is rice a bulked up milk?

Issue with rice is high arsenic contamination.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now