Talk

Advanced search

Are we moving too quickly?

(7 Posts)
TheSleeperandTheSpindle Fri 12-May-17 08:09:02

DS is 6.5 months and we started weaning about 2-3 weeks ago. I started him off with just breakfast and then introduced lunch last week but this week he has also been eating dinner with us, so has been on 3 'meals' for around 3 days. He is loving it!

However I read somewhere that they shouldn't be on 3 meals until around 8-9 months so am I pushing him too quickly?

He is never forcefed and we've been doing a mixture of mashed up food and finger food. Yesterday he had:

B: porridge with strawberries
L: chicken strips, broccoli florets and pea puree
D: cod and sweet potato

He will literally eat anything I put in front of him grin but he also hasn't started dropping any of his bottles yet either, although he is stretching the time between them and last night had a dream feed at 10pm then slept until 4am.

Any advice would be great. I feel like I'm winging it most of the time grin

Alexandra87 Fri 12-May-17 08:10:50

As long as he is still getting all the milk he needs then 3 meals is fine.

Nan0second Fri 12-May-17 08:11:20

My DD was like this, although I just gave her all finger food.
She was on 3 meals a day within 3 weeks and seemed to love everything.
I just let her control her portions, didn't stress and she gradually dropped feeds when she was ready (breast fed but I don't think it makes a difference).

welshweasel Fri 12-May-17 08:12:51

I wouldn't worry at all. DS was on three meals a day within a few weeks, he's always loved eating! If his milk intake drops considerable you might want to consider vitamins (I think recommended once having less than 500mls of formula a day).

TheSleeperandTheSpindle Fri 12-May-17 08:46:11

Great, thanks. He just seems to love eating and gets quite cross if we eat and don't offer him something grin

Thanks for reminding me about vitamins welsh Don't think there's any fear of him not getting enough milk atm (he's still having 35-40 oz over 24 hrs blush) but it's handy to keep it in the back of my mind smile

HerculesParrot Fri 12-May-17 08:50:04

They don't need three meals a day, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have them. If he's taken to it, just go with it!

I think the "they don't need to be on three meals for a while" advice is aimed at parents like me, whose baby took about three weeks to actually put anything in her mouth, and still dribbles 80% of it back out at 8 months. (We're working on it...)

Flyingprettycretonnecurtains Fri 12-May-17 09:39:12

Apparently I was rating steak at three months - I was born teething and three teeth came through in weeks old. Flying boy (now 22) was given basic mashed tastes from three months because that was what you did then. He was starving )still is) and was eating whizzed up meals all the way through. Ds2 who is 16 I left until four months. He's never been great at eating but would eat finger foods fine. Actually, I can't really remember. They are both happy, healthy, lollopping lads. Do what works for you and it sounds fine. Much better a keen trougher than a fussy one so just keep on with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now