Talk

Advanced search

6.5 month old constipated?

(13 Posts)
Stripeystripes Mon 08-May-17 14:55:34

This has probably been done to death, but all the advice I read doesn't apply perfectly so thought I'd ask again!

I weaned my 6.5 month old when he was a week off six months (he was overdue and very ready for food). He doesn't love purées and prefers to do baby led weaning. I try and give him a mix of both.

He's breastfed and hasn't dropped any feeds, he's just adding food into his diet.

For breakfast he gets a banana, lunch today was homemade pesto (seeds, basil, olive oil) on pasta. He sucked the pesto off (no salt, no cheese). Last night he had a some veg and some meat (no salt, again just sort of sucked and gnawed away) and I attempted to give him a baby pouch. He had a little, but not much.

Is the sort of food I'm giving him wrong?

I'm sure being constipated at his age isn't a great sign! blush

Anyway, tmi, but his poo is small and hard and not soft and, erm, volumous anymore!

MrsChopper Mon 08-May-17 14:58:26

Does he have banana every day? I know it gives my DS awful constipation. Try giving him something different for a few days. Apples are really good at getting things going again.

Stripeystripes Mon 08-May-17 14:59:13

He does! It's my lazy breakfast for him! Ok that's good to know. I will hold off on the bananas for a bit!

FluffyBathTowel Mon 08-May-17 15:01:08

Bananas made my DD constipated too. She's just turned 10 months and it took me a few weeks to cop on to the fact that this was the cause. She was having one almost daily blush still feel guilty

MrsChopper Mon 08-May-17 15:01:48

It's most likely the bananas then, they are very starchy. Do you offer him water with his dinners? That might gelp as well.

MrsChopper Mon 08-May-17 15:02:33

*help

pardreg Mon 08-May-17 15:18:13

Green tinged bananas = constipating
Brown speckled banana = 💩

Stripeystripes Mon 08-May-17 17:12:45

Haha! Ok sounds like it's definitely the banana a day then! blush better pause on that for a while!

edengarden123 Mon 08-May-17 22:35:49

Yep it's the bananas. Pears are brilliant for getting things moving so I would always give cooked pears if I was giving banana.

Stripeystripes Mon 08-May-17 22:47:57

eden - that's a great tip. He loves bananas. Haven't tried pear yet, but they're nicely in season now!

Stripeystripes Mon 08-May-17 22:48:03

(Well, almost)

FartnissEverbeans Tue 09-May-17 13:10:51

I agree with edengarden123 - bananas make DS stuffed up but some pear purée sorted it right out

CosyPinkBlanket Mon 15-May-17 20:10:20

As you're still breastfeeding, you could try drinking a glass or two of fresh orange juice. That and giving my dd some prunes got things moving! If that doesn't work then you can get lactose solution from the pharmacy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now