Talk

Advanced search

BLW but only 2 teeth

(7 Posts)
scruffmacduff Tue 18-Apr-17 17:04:24

Hi all,

My 1 year DD only has her 2 bottom teeth and that's it! She got these at 9/10 months.

She finds feeding herself tricky. Although she can get the food to her mouth okay and hold it well, she can't really chew or bite very well.

She has a good appetite and will eat much more when spoon fed mashed/textured food.

A lot of finger food gets thrown on the floor and I'm worried that she is hungry/frustrated that she can't eat it.

Anyone else had experience of this and any tips on how to help? At the moment we are doing a mix of BLW and spoon feeding to make sure she is getting enough. She is also starting to wean herself off the breast and will only feed first thing in the morning.

Thanks!

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 18-Apr-17 19:19:35

I would just keep giving finger food or swap to BLW and let her feed herself entirely. She'll work it out eventually given enough opportunity. My 10 month old DS2 only has his two bottom teeth but his gums are rock hard. He manages to chomp through most things, he's been self feeding since we started weaning at 6 months.

scruffmacduff Tue 18-Apr-17 20:19:59

I might start to phase out the spoon feeding and see how we get on!

Thanks smile

FartnissEverbeans Mon 08-May-17 19:19:59

The only answer you will get on the Mumsnet weaning board is to try BLW. Just about everyone on here is obsessed with it.

Are you giving her finger foods when she's hungry? If I give DS finger foods when he's hungry he just gets frustrated. I only give them when he's semi full - maybe halfway between feeds.

BendingSpoons Mon 08-May-17 19:25:12

Can you give a mix of foods so that some don't require much chewing e.g. rice, mashed potato, soft fruits. My DD is 14 months and has been feeding herself with a spoon for a while (as well as using her hands) so she is still in control of what she eats.

coragreta Mon 08-May-17 19:53:54

Mine only got first tooth at 1 but had been eating loads of finger food before. 4teeth now but eats everything from hard apple to chewy raisins. Your dc will get there.

CatsCantFlyFast Mon 08-May-17 20:01:15

My dd1 had no teeth until after 13 months and managed every food we gave her - gums are very hard! You need to have a degree of faith with blw that they will regulate their own intake. And be blind to what goes on the floor! At her age you can load a spoon for her but to be honest I wouldn't worry about her teeth, I'd just let her manage herself.

Dd2 is weaning at the moment - we had to start on purée as she was prem and you're advised to start earlier (6 months actual which is 4.5 adjusted and they don't have the motor skills for blw then). So we are mix feeding but at 7 months adjusted she's on 90% blw and only bits and bobs of spoon fed (and I let her do the spoon on the whole). She's no teeth and manages everything we eat including meat without an issue

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now