Tinned toms
Tom purée
A small amount of chorizo - this is the bit I'm worried about
Mushrooms
Carrot
Olive oil
Courgette
Onion

No added salt (aware chorizo is salted and spiced) and I'd blitz it for her removing chunks of chorizo before, so she'd have some delicious chorizo oil, but no actual meat.

When I say 'feed' she's at a relatively early stage of weaning (has tried: sweet potato, pea, broccoli, porridge, apple, carrot) and I'd simply blitz a tablespoon of it and give her the chance to try a bit (she's not eating meals, just exploring food).

Have I lost my mind?

ProudBadMum Mon 17-Apr-17 12:27:13

Yeh go for it

I blitzed lamb, mint, mash, gravy and carrots for my 6 month old. Did enough for a few meals. She loved it

Added a bit of water to make it more puréed

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 17-Apr-17 12:29:13

Id say probably not given the early stage sense would he going from one ingredient to several all at once. If weaning was more established I'd say yes.

However I would blitz and freeze and use a bit later it would be fine then.

Disclaimer I did purees too so stick to single combos then gradually introduced more.im sure others will say it's fine though grin

BertrandRussell Mon 17-Apr-17 12:33:08

I wouldn't if she's still just having individual tastes. I might give her a tiny lick off a spoon to try but not as a meal, if you see what I mean?

And anyway, it will stain her bib, her clothes and the tray of the highchair all to bugggerygrin

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 17-Apr-17 12:37:47

Well I'd

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 17-Apr-17 12:39:12

Oops!

Well I'd probably just give it to her as it is, but I'm doing BLW with mine, so I don't do individual flavours and purees. So I'd say go for it and see what she makes of it!

JellyTeapot Mon 17-Apr-17 12:42:40

I'd let her have a go at it - I did BLW with DS1 and was constantly amazed by what he'd shovel down. If only it were so easy now he's 3...

FirstSeemItThenBeIt Mon 17-Apr-17 12:43:29

I would - she'll eat a teaspoonful, tops.

yikesanotherbooboo Mon 17-Apr-17 12:49:03

I would definitely have given this but wasn't blitzing at this age... I remember worrying about whether things were ok so really understand that but once I had 2 small children I was more confident and had less time in which to worry

Silverthorn Mon 17-Apr-17 12:52:41

I wouldn't because my 2 have very sensitive stomachs and the chorizo gAve them tummy ache at this age, but that's just mine. I would give them a small taste and freeze it for later.

Heirhelp Mon 17-Apr-17 12:52:48

There is no need to give individual foods by themselves.

buckyou Mon 17-Apr-17 12:57:15

I would.

DorotheaHomeAlone Mon 17-Apr-17 13:07:22

Absolutely fine. No need to blitz.

Highmaintenancefemalestuff Mon 17-Apr-17 13:09:34

Yes. My hv said the only definite no no's are whole nuts, runny eggs and honey. No adding salt to cooking.
My 8mo eats anything put in front of her and I never bother blending. If we are in a restaurant I just order her a kids meal.

Pinkheart5915 Mon 17-Apr-17 13:11:48

Yes!
I gave both my dc proper food early on so they had things like that from day 1. No need to stick to individual tastes

Go for it and see what the child thinks

teaandbiscuitsforme Mon 17-Apr-17 13:41:53

Yes but I did BLW so would just serve it up as it is. I might have left the chorizo out at 6months with PFB DD though.

NotTheBelleoftheBall Mon 17-Apr-17 14:14:20

Thanks all! I did it, she scoffed it. And strangely didn't make a massive mess (though I stripped her down to vest and tights so as to save her lovely grey jumper - don't worry, warm house).

I've portioned out some more for freezing.

I'm all for BLW and want to get her eating 'human' food as soon as possible, but I'm a bit PFB about it (and the one time I gave her a cucumber stick she choked --not actual choking, but scary soundless coughing--) so my plan is to purée stuff for now, decreasing the level of puréed-ness until it's just mashed and then moving on to more solid things.

I'm trying to interest her palette and give her a wide variety of tastes to try, for example once I'd established she'd eat peas; making peas with mint, ditto apple and cinnamon etc.

Thanks again, I was worried that I was breaking a cardinal rule of weaning, and desperately trying to remember if I'd seen an Ella's Kitchen packet with chorizo in it.

NotTheBelleoftheBall Mon 17-Apr-17 16:21:45

I (the 38 year old adult) in the other hand dropped tomato sauce down my entire cream jumper. Baby's better at eating than me!

ProudBadMum Mon 17-Apr-17 16:25:15

I blend food because mines just shoves it all in and then chokes. She loves her food

If you don't label the feeding process it's easier. I just feed her whether it's stuff on her tray or I spoon feed her some mashed up stuff.

Mine loved the minted lamb.

Zahrah5 Tue 18-Apr-17 12:04:37

I think this a very early to be feeding 6 month old such a heavy meal with many combinations of ingredients, some very hard to digest, especially if only used to one-ingedient vegetables at the time.

I would definitelly omit processed meat and processed tomatoes, this is definitelly not healthy for children.
Maybe try to use fresh tomatoes instead.

DorotheaHomeAlone Tue 18-Apr-17 12:09:16

Zahrah With the greatest respect that is nonsense. Babies of six months can eat almost anything you eat. Nuts and honey are pretty much the only exception. Grapes and cherry tomatoes should be cut. Please check the NHS website for more up to date info before giving advice.

Zahrah5 Tue 18-Apr-17 14:12:54

I havent said they could not eat it, yes they could eat everything you eat. Is that sensible and healthy? Definitivelly not.
Btw- processed meats and canned acidic foods are not recommended for anyone, children or adults.

Heirhelp Tue 18-Apr-17 18:31:30

Zahrah5 Where is the evidence says you should not have tinned tomatoes? I am not doubting you btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now