Talk

Advanced search

Moving to cows milk at a year old but has mild intolerance

(12 Posts)
applepatch Fri 14-Apr-17 12:25:29

My DD is 10 months, is formula fed and has since 5 weeks old been on a hypoallergenic milk for a cows milk protein intolerance...the main issue seems to be that it caused her to have stuffy nose, terrible wind and silent reflux. The reflux and other symptoms stopped after milk change plus I had mild intolerance as a baby so the docs were happy with the milk change.
Thankfully weaning hasn't been too bad and she has cheese and yoghurts most days now with little visible effects to make me think it's still a huge issue.

I'm just wondering though how to tackle moving to cows milk at around a year. I'm totally confused as to what to do about her formula too as she's just kind of stayed on it, mainly because we weren't sure how dairy would react with her. It kind of seems silly to change her formula now when she's starting to reduce her milk anyway but giving a hypoallergenic formula then cups of cows milk seems daft too.
Just a bit confused and looking to see if anyone else has dealt with a similar situation?

RochelleGoyle Fri 14-Apr-17 14:31:01

My son has the cow milk protein allergy too. Although we are still using Neocate at the moment, our dietician has given us a ladder diagram which explains how to challenge the allergy in 12 stages. You start off with something like a biscuit containing milk, then progress up the ladder until you final hit plain old cows milk. If they struggle at any point, you leave it a few weeks then try again. We've been told to do it around the time of his first birthday.

It sounds like your son might already be overcoming his intolerance if he can manage yoghurts and cheese. Have you spoken with your GP for advice?

RochelleGoyle Fri 14-Apr-17 14:31:27

Sorry, I meant your daughter, not son!

applepatch Fri 14-Apr-17 14:50:39

Thanks Rochelle...smile
It's a bit of a strange one with us as she's never been 'properly ' diagnosed officially and the milk she's on is the pepti 1 partially hydrolysed one so still traces of milk proteins. GP suggested we start with that and see...the reflux and other intolerance symptoms went but my wee one has a few other health issues (unrelated entirely) so all focus was on that and the HV said just see how you go with weaning.
We did the very gradual just see how it goes and at first it was milk traces, then yoghurt then cheese and this was over 2-3 months starting about 7 months. All seems fine but nobody ever suggested changing formulas, neither GP or HV. I think because she's not been referred to a dietitian officially there's no set path so I'm just trying to figure out what I should do.
My HV has just changed too which is a shame as I feel I'm having to explain all the beginning stuff all over again

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 14-Apr-17 19:23:33

Could you ask to see a dietician? I've got CMPA was now have a complete dairy aversion. My worry is that if you give her dairy too quickly, she could start to associate the stomach cramps with dairy and stop eating it all together.

Have you read up on non ige dairy allergy?

applepatch Fri 14-Apr-17 19:38:08

She's been ok with dairy for past few months loves yoghurt and cheese and no distress or digestive changes to make me think it's bothering her.
I did ask for referral but as it wasn't confirmed when she was wee so they won't do it. Spoke to dietician at weaning fair who suggested the slow steps I've taken and so far so good

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 14-Apr-17 19:45:18

So she's not having any symptoms at all? No mucus in poo etc?

applepatch Fri 14-Apr-17 20:06:36

Not that I can see no confused when she was wee she had ridiculously bad flatulence and a stuffy nose and some reflux symptoms, none of those have reappeared with the introduction of dairy and the HV thinks she's just growing out of it as I did

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 14-Apr-17 22:15:17

It could be. As someone who has CMPA I'd recommend that if you try her on Cow's Milk, you use Sterilised Milk as the proteins are more broken down and than in pasteurised milk smile

What are you using currently in things like her cereal?

applepatch Sat 15-Apr-17 09:34:21

Thanks Jilted l will look into that. In her porridge etc just now I'm using the Pepti 1 formula. My gut feeling is that it was a very slight sensitivity however for a few weeks old baby it would have been fairly dramatic for her poor wee system...I'm going to get docs advice before giving her real cows milk to drink but everyone (HV team) seems to think she'll be fine with slow progress.
In my head it just seems strange giving her the partially hypoallergenic milk to drink but then some cows milk! I suppose that's just how it will be.
She's still on 3 or 4 bottles a day as she's very much a little and often milk drinker so I'll need to figure out my plan for when she turns one!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 15-Apr-17 10:11:01

Could she just not continue with the formula? Lots of allergic babies do.

applepatch Sat 15-Apr-17 13:09:07

I think the doc will try to encourage less of it since it's prescription. I'm definitely in no rush and will ensure she gets it as long as I think she needs it but I'm just not sure how best to phase it out and regular milk in if you know what I mean. My plan is to reduce her bottles after age 1 but I'm certainly not going cold turkey with it.
I'm honestly finding that nobody health professional wise seems to be able to give definitive suggestions so that's why I ended up on here smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now