Talk

Advanced search

Not eating solids at 9 months!

(14 Posts)
dazzleboo Wed 05-Apr-17 19:05:08

I'd love to hear from anyone who had a baby who was slow to take to solid food. DS is just 9 months, EBF and just isn't interested in eating solid food.

I started offering him finger foods at 6 months and he usually loves playing with the food but it just doesn't occur to him to put it in his mouth!

It makes no difference if I eat the food with him, if he sits at the table, on my lap or on the floor.

I've tried spoon feeding him but he just won't have it- clamps his mouth shut, pushes the spoon away, turns his head away. Same if I try to hold finger foods up to his mouth.

He has sucked on 3 foods by himself for a few seconds but hasn't waned them again.

I've tried offering when he's hungry but then he's just grumpy and doesn't have the patience to even play with the food.

My health visitor isn't worried as he's gaining weight well and seems healthy and alert, but I can't help worrying that this isn't right, and other babies I know who are the same age are feeding themselves three meals a day.

Has anyone else experienced this? How did it turn out? What worked for you that I could try?

DavidPuddy Wed 05-Apr-17 19:42:55

At that age my baby would try the odd bits and pieces, but she wasn't really eating. Apart from weetabux, she was already mad for weetabix by that age.

She didn't really start eating until about 12months and now at 15 months she has actually started to eat what I would consider meals. She just always much preferred breast milk and I just went with it.

dazzleboo Wed 05-Apr-17 20:03:32

That's reassuring, thank you! Maybe I'll give weetabix a go!!

outputgap Wed 05-Apr-17 20:05:39

Just for fun until they're one!

Hellmouth Wed 05-Apr-17 20:06:56

DS is 9 months old and still on puréed food, but three times a day. He's not interested in anything else we give him. He also needs to be spoon fed, he doesn't feed himself at all! I've done some research and it's not uncommon for some little ones to not be interested in solids until they're 15-16 months old.

At least we still have time! smile

JesusTwerks Wed 05-Apr-17 20:09:03

Wait it out. Like a pp my DD didn't really eat proper meals until 14/15 months. Played with food from 10ish months.

Waterlemon Wed 05-Apr-17 20:21:24

I had a 10 pound baby, I really thought he would be ready for weaning before he even got to 6 months but he was also not interested.

He was BF but I tried once a week/every few days to offer him purees or soft foods etc but he just wasn't intested. He did like to pick things up and explore them though, but was only interested if it was the same as what everyone else was eating. So we went down the blw route from about 9 months.

Weaning later actually made life so much easier! I also had a 2 1/2 year old, so i usually prepared them the same meals. dS1 refused any jars or pouches of baby food, only home made would do hmm

i think I weaned ds1 far too early. He was just 5 1/2 months but I caved in to my Mum and Aunts nagging! My early weaner is VERY fussy about food and eats a very limited diet whereas my late Weaner will eat anything and everything, he absolutely loves trying new things! Ds1 will freak out if there is something new on his plate!

Introvertedbuthappy Wed 05-Apr-17 20:27:32

DS1 was like this completely! He was EBF and would frankly rather BF than eat, he was like that until 2, and even then ate like a sparrow and gagged on different textures. He's now 8 though and eats everything! (Favourites are fajitas and mushroom risotto).
DS2 was brought up exactly the same (but mix fed) and eats everything and anything! All babies are different, try not to worry flowers

IrnBruTortie Wed 05-Apr-17 20:31:17

I've no personal experience, but a childminder friend of mine had similar with her 5th child. When o was thinking of weaning DC 1, she had a lovely chat with me where she basically said all PPs have said; don't stress, until they're 1 or more then it's just tastes and not for nutrition. Her DD had acted just like your DS - just wasn't interested in anything other than bum until (iirc) about 13 months, and then it was just like a switch had been flicked. She gave me the chat because she'd been oh so worried by it all, but need not have been (and given that her DD would be ages with me she'd have been born in the 70s, so my friend would probably have been under pressure to wean from 3 months. So yes, I understand why your worried, but I really don't think you need to be, there's plenty of time yet.

mistermagpie Wed 05-Apr-17 20:48:15

My DS was barely interested in good until he went to nursery at 11 months. He would suck an Ella's fruit pouch thing every now and then, but spoon feeding and feeding himself just didn't happen. It also made. I difference if I ate with him or even whether he was really hungry or not - the boy just wouldn't eat. I got really stressed and frustrated about it at the time, but I look back now I see what a waste of time that was! As I say, nursery was a turning point for him but I don't really know why, he just started eating.

Even now though (he's 20 months) he isn't a brilliant eater. There are things he likes but lots he won't even entertain. He is also not very good at feeding himself with cutlery and only uses his hands. I figure he'll get it in time but in the meantime I try not to stress too much.

Kiwi32 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:57:43

I have an ebf 1 year old who still isn't on 3 meals a day. At 9 months he was very similar to how your little boy sounds. At that point I was annoyed and frustrated and tbh embarrassed (so ridiculous) hat he wasn't eating loads. Then I read some threads on here, decided to calm down and remember it really is for fun until 1, and life got a lot easier. He's got more interested little by little, eats a lot better at nursery than at home and is growing fine and hitting all his milestones. Do not panic!

dazzleboo Wed 05-Apr-17 21:35:45

Thank you everyone- I feel a lot better about it!

upthewolves Sun 09-Apr-17 06:38:26

My DD was definitely well over 7 months before I could say she was eating. She tried some puree but most got spat out and didn't know what to do with finger foods
I did have some success with soft fruit e.g. plums, nectarines - she sucked the juice mostly but I remember those being the first things she was really interested in.

Rinceoir Sun 09-Apr-17 07:06:40

My DD was well over a year before she ate anything, and around 20months before she ate anything near enough. I was tearing my hair out. She was breastfed, refused bottles or any sort of milk and her weight was dropping. I was back at work when she was 11months so it was incredibly stressful. Weaning was far and away the worst part of parenting.

We saw dietitians/paeds who gave very helpful advice (like give her high calorie food- but no advice on getting her to swallow it!). Her weight eventually stabilised on just above the 3rd centile (from 75th) and now at 3 she is a brilliant eater (still tiny though!). I would have allowed her live on chocolate if she had eaten it to be honest, I was so worried. Nothing I (or anyone) did got her interested in food, it was like a switch flipped in her head one day.

So for example yesterday she had 2 scrambled eggs with spinach and cheese and toast for breakfast; we went out for lunch and she had a full mackerel fillet with salad and chips, and for tea she had a wrap with chicken, avocado and mixed leaves. She also had a banana dipped in peanut butter, and 2 oat cookies that we baked.

My DD is a pretty extreme example- I just want to tell you that I wish I hadn't worried so much; she got there in her own time and now eats really well, will stop eating when she's no longer hungry even if it's chocolate or other junk (she's been known to eat 4 chocolate buttons and leave the rest as she's full now!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now