Talk

Advanced search

Reducing milk feeds with traditional weaning and a big baby!

(4 Posts)
BettyOBarley Tue 04-Apr-17 12:58:22

I'm weaning 6 month old DS the traditional way (mashed + finger food rather than BLW) and he's on 3 meals a day.

If you weaned this way how did you go about milks feeds? Did you let your baby reduce them naturally or did you slowly reduce to the recommended 500-600ml?

DS was on 5 x 8oz bottles before weaning began and I reduced that to 4 x 8 once he was on 3 meals which he hasn't seemed to miss and I've now reduced his 2 daytime feeds to 6/7oz but he is a little constipated (always offer water at mealtimes which he does drink)

He's a big boy though (24lb) and has gone off the chart for his age (was 17lb just before Xmas so is gaining weight fairly rapidly) and I'm conscious not to make that too much worse, as he would just eat and eat and drink and drink if I let him!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Apr-17 08:29:34

I wouldn't reduce his milk too much, and yes I've weaned one this way smile

The amount you mention is only the minimum they should be drinking, some babies will need more and it's important that you don't replace milk with meals too quickly, the constipation could be a sign that his digestive system simply isn't coping with the amount of solids.

If he's off the chart, is that for height too?

BettyOBarley Mon 10-Apr-17 13:31:48

Sorry I only just saw your reply, thank you!

I've gone back to 4 x 8oz and with finding him a better water cup he doesn't seem to be constipated now which is great.

I haven't had him measured for height since before Christmas but she said he was only 75th centile which surprised me as he needs 12-18 popper vests for length but I think he's got long body/short legs. He definitely looks a bit chubby bless him.

Figgygal Tue 11-Apr-17 16:36:24

Hi I am in the same boat I have a little boy who is six months he is 91st centile was having 7 7oz bottles in the last week I have introduced lunch so it's now on three meals a day but I'm struggling to reduce his milk feeds.

Having previously been a good sleeper for the last 2 to 3 weeks he has been horrendous I wonder if it's a combination of teeth, developmental leap, hunger.

He is now going to 6 feeds a day today I'm reducing one of his feeds rather than cutting out altogether we don't have a regimented time throughout the day when he has bottles it's always roughly been every three hours. He is currently having tonight feeds like to getting back down to one or cut them out altogether fingers crossed

His brother was a monster too he shot up to the 99th centile when weaning I'm very conscious to avoid that happening again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now