Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ready for food?

(12 Posts)
melonribena Tue 28-Feb-17 20:54:59

Ds2 is 5 months and a day old.
He can sit well, puts everything in his mouth!
I was going to wait for a week or two until weaning.
He was sitting in his high chair while we ate pancakes and tried to grab a banana. I didn't want him to eat the skin so peeled it and put in on his tray, thinking he'd just play with it. It was quite a ripe banana.
He picked it up and shoved it in his mouth, chewed and swallowed. Did that twice then played with it and chucked it on the floor!
Is that a sign he's ready?

bittapitta Tue 28-Feb-17 20:57:51

Yes. Start slow and try baby led weaning. The book Baby Led Weaning by Gill Rapley is an excellent starting point.

melonribena Tue 28-Feb-17 20:59:25

Thank you!

Heirhelp Wed 01-Mar-17 08:08:39

Read up on why weaning is not advised until 6 months so you can make and informed decision. Weaning before 6 months has been linked to long term health conditions.

Juveniledelinquent Wed 01-Mar-17 08:12:22

Children mature at different rates. One child might be ready at five months, another not until seven months. You know your child better than anyone else, trust your own judgement.

LaurieMarlow Wed 01-Mar-17 11:59:04

There's emerging evidence that weaning before 6 months carries risks and a number of western countries are reverting to 4-6 months as recommended age for weaning.

The NHS isn't exactly the cutting edge of nutritional advice.

So do read up, as Heirhelp suggests, but actually look into it in depth rather than just parroting a guideline.

bigmamapeach Wed 01-Mar-17 12:06:47

". Weaning before 6 months has been linked to long term health conditions." not true actually. Weaning before 17 weeks (around 4 months) is thought to be harmful long term and recommended against, but waiting to 6 months rather than 4 months helps prevent a few cases of diarrhoea. Diarrhoea isn't a long term health problem and most babies get the occasional bout in 1st year of life anyway. Waiting to "around" 6 months is recommended but the guidance definitely says around not absolute and to the day, and that each baby should branches individually.

bigmamapeach Wed 01-Mar-17 12:07:21

Should be managed, not branches! Autotype

LaurieMarlow Wed 01-Mar-17 12:24:40

Sorry, my post meant to say waiting til sixth months carries risks. Apologies.

bigmamapeach Wed 01-Mar-17 13:38:36

Also, do chat with your HV, and get extra special advice if there are any concerns about eg, an ex-prem baby or growth concerns, or allergic dispositions in the family; but if not and providing your health profs are good with it, then just start solids when you feel you and baby are ready.

bittapitta Thu 02-Mar-17 06:54:40

This is all why BLW is a good idea.. baby can't physically grab chew and swallow before their gut is ready.

Trifleorbust Thu 09-Mar-17 13:46:52

My 3 month old is starting to look interested in our food - can't see us getting to 6 months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now