Talk

Advanced search

1year old suddenly refusing food

(8 Posts)

I have a DD just coming up to a year. Since weaning she has always been a great eater (literally demolishes everything put in front of her)
For the past week or so she has started refusing food. She eats all her breakfast (typically toast or porridge) eats some of her lunch (usually a small sandwich with either cheese, marmite, banana etc) but will eat the whole of a banana, eat satusa etc but point blank refuses dinner. Today she had salmon and veg like she has done many times but refused to eat to the point of screaming and getting herself worked up (I was at work so only heard how bad she got) but then ate the other half of her lunch banana and satsuma followed by a banana cracker.

Yesterday she has a small amount of sandwich for lunch but ate her cracker and did the same with her risotto but I didn't offer her anything else.

Is this normal for a 1yr old? Should I be worried? And how can I get her back to eating like she used to?

She is teething at the moment but I would have thought she would refuse the other food (cracker/toast) if it was painful?

I should add that she is drinking quite a lot of water (20+oz a day)

welshweasel Mon 27-Feb-17 20:52:50

Babies are fickle creatures. I wouldn't worry for a few days. Could be teeth, brewing some illness, just being contrary. DS has done this a few times but usually gets back to normal within a week. That is a huge amount of fluid though (assuming also has some milk at least once a day).

Ca55andraMortmain Mon 27-Feb-17 20:58:51

I wouldn't worry. My DD also did this at around 13 months but refused more or less all food except yoghurt. It was so stressful but she had plenty of energy, was sleeping well and growing fine. The more I tried to encourage her to eat, the more she refused until one day I set up the baby monitor camera and left her to eat while I went I to the living room. She ate fine when she thought I wasn't there. After that, I tried hard to be more relaxed about eating and not make a fuss if she didn't eat. After a few weeks she starting eating again.

She has 3 x 7oz milk a day at the moment (but doesn't always finish it).

She eats well at nursery (or did do when she last went) so maybe I'll ask them when she next goes how much she tends to drink there.

I did think the water was quite a lot. Do you think I should ration it? As that could be filling her up? But why would she refuse one lot of food but not the other if she was full!

Ahh it's all so stressful

That makes sense ca55. I do get stressed. She has a lot of reserves as she is 98th centile for height and weight

welshweasel Mon 27-Feb-17 21:20:42

So she's having 40+ oz of fluid a day? That's a huge amount and certainly doesn't leave much room for food! For comparison my DS (13 months) has maybe 3oz milk in a cup in the morning, same at tea and a 7oz bottle at bedtime. Free access to cup of water during the day, probably has 6-7oz over the day. Perhaps offer a cup rather than a bottle, might limit the amount a bit. And make sure she's having food before milk.

She always has food before milk and the water is from a cup not a bottle.

I will try and limit the fluid intake and ask how much she has at nursery when she is there so I can do similar at home.

When it's written down it seems more obvious than when you just think it over. I hadn't ever added the amount of fluid up as she ate so well without having to be rationed with water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now