Talk

Advanced search

Introducing 2nd & 3rd meals

(5 Posts)
MiniMaxi Sun 19-Feb-17 23:05:08

Just started weaning our son who is 6 months old (4.5 months corrected for prematurity).

He's had his first few days of one "meal" a day - in reality a few spoonfuls except when it comes to banana which he loves!

My question is, at what point do you decide to introduce a second and/or third meal? And how much should I be aiming for him to have at each meal?

Also, is it a bad thing I've not consulted a health visitor about weaning? I've never found a need to see them (we have our own scales and he's had a bunch of Dr appointments) - but wondering if it's worth discussing weaning with them...?

Thanks in advance smile

teaandbiscuitsforme Mon 20-Feb-17 09:11:24

I don't know about weaning prem babies or purées (did BLW) but you don't have to see your health visitor about anything. If you need advice, they can be a useful source but there's no requirement that your baby has to be seen/weighed/checked etc. Might be different for prem babies though!

MiniMaxi Mon 20-Feb-17 17:10:33

Thanks tea!

Heirhelp Thu 02-Mar-17 11:50:32

HV are a source of advice but you don't need to see them. I very occasionally get my DD weighed about once every three months.

We did blw so just offered food when awake. I believe Ella kitchen website has a chart.

I think I added a 2nd meal after about 2 weeks and then a 3rd at 8months. Not sure if you would do the same with a prem though? I thought you went by corrected age for the first year? (I don't have a prem baby though so it's not something I have looked into)

As with every baby you need to be guided by what they are showing you. I think you will just know when to add in the 2nd and 3rd meal

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now