Baby rice at 4 months

(63 Posts)
GemSingleton Fri 17-Feb-17 15:20:28

Hi mums,

This is going to be pretty controversial. My LB is 18 weeks old tomorrow. After his first feed this morning I thought I would try him a tiny bit of baby rice.
He absolutely loved it. Finished it off and was even opening his mouth for more after swallowing and then finished his bottle.

Jacob is a little and often baby. He has around 4/5 oz bottle every 2 hours! Just lately he has started to just play with his bottles, seeming bored, although he doesn't know any different. I thought the rice may sustain him a little longer.

He's been so happy today he's had his naps taking his bottles fine just generally happy.

I told my partner and he's not very happy. I know NHS says 6 months but if it's making him happy and he's ok with it then what's the harm?

I was thinking of gradually introducing it to him with his second feed usually around 9am. Just a couple of times a week to begin with.

Any thoughts?

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Fri 17-Feb-17 15:21:35

There really is no nutrition in baby rice imo!! Speak to you health visitor for some advice. .

namechange20050 Fri 17-Feb-17 15:25:36

It's the same calorie content as milk but no nutritional value. It's a total nonsense food. Dreamt up by marketing people to make money out of gullible parents. Stick to the milk!

mando12345 Fri 17-Feb-17 15:29:44

I'm sorry I would stick to the NHS guidelines, milk has a lot more nutritional value than baby rice.

MrsSkeffington Fri 17-Feb-17 15:32:12

Wait until 6 months - start with veg not sweet baby rice. There's just no need guidance is there for a reason unless medically advised. I know weaning is exciting but I'd hold your horses

LaundryQueenHatesBunfights Fri 17-Feb-17 15:43:19

I read somewhere the other day (can't remember where, useful I know!) that baby rice used to be recommended to people who used infant formulas as they weren't fortified with iron (the rice is fortified with iron) but since they started to add iron to formula (80s/90's maybe?) it is completely unnecessary.

overmydeadbody Fri 17-Feb-17 15:47:14

You should wait until six months. Your baby doesn't need the baby rice, and milk is more nutritional.

Scrumptiousbears Fri 17-Feb-17 15:48:38

Unless a healthcare professional says start weaning then leave it till at least 6 months. There is no rush.

reallyanotherone Fri 17-Feb-17 15:49:32

You might find the rice does the opposite.

It's bulky and will fill him up, but for less calories. So he may get hungry sooner, or start waking more in the night, which is common in babies weaned early as the bulk from solids prevents them taking all their calories in the day.

Little and often is entirely normal for an 18week old, btw.

Afreshstartplease Fri 17-Feb-17 15:52:16

Honestly your weaning him for no reason at all

My elder two were weaned early 4/5 months but I literally could not fill them up by that point, the evidence against it wasn't as strong back then either

DC3 was weaned at 6 months as she was fine just on milk. DC4 is 4 months and content with his milk so I'll be waiting until 6 months again unless anything happens between now and then!

Leggit Fri 17-Feb-17 15:59:43

Why did you give him rice?

GemSingleton Fri 17-Feb-17 16:01:48

Thank you to everyone who has replied. Maybe I am jumping the gun a little.

He is sleeping through the night and has been since he was 7 weeks old.

He is also a big baby so thought he would handle it ok. He was 8lbs 9oz when he was born. He now weighs 15lbs 13oz. The HV is happy with him and his weight but I thought it might hold him out a little longer between feeds.

First time mummy and just blagging my way through motherhood lol 🙈👍🏼

Afreshstartplease Fri 17-Feb-17 16:03:58

Op he sounds very similar to my DC4

He takes 6-8oz every three hours usually during the day and sleeps 8+ hours at night

He's almost 18 weeks

Heatherbell1978 Fri 17-Feb-17 16:04:09

Baby rice is just thick formula but with less nutritional value. It's what I gave DS (at around 5/6 months) to get him used to eating off a spoon but only for a few weeks until he started on 'proper food'. If you're planning to start weaning properly I'd move onto fruit/veg although it's maybe a bit soon for those types of food. Was there a reason you're starting at 18 weeks?

Afreshstartplease Fri 17-Feb-17 16:05:34

What size teats are you using? Is he getting bored of sucking and not getting much?

FartnissEverbeans Fri 17-Feb-17 16:11:41

I've been reading a lot about this lately as my DS is also now 18 weeks old (and also formula fed).

The advice on this thread to wait until 'at least' six months isn't really in line with the guidelines, which generally (they vary country to country) state that you should start no earlier than 17 weeks and no later than 26.

If your baby is happy then I don't see the problem as there is no evidence it'll harm him at this stage. Rice cereal isn't the most nutritious food perhaps but research suggests that early introduction of gluten can help prevent intolerance later so cereal could be useful in that respect. I'm avoiding Ella's Kitchen cereal because it's gluten free.

I haven't started just yet (I don't think DS is quite there yet) but I will be in the next few weeks. I'll be spoonfeeding veg and fruit purée just as tasters to start with and will take it from there.

I was directed to this blog post which might be worthwhile sharing with your partner - scienceofmom.com/2015/05/14/starting-solids-4-months-6-months-or-somewhere-in-between/

GemSingleton Fri 17-Feb-17 16:14:21

Yes he sleeps from 9pm until 7.30am. We have a good routine with him.

I wanted to try the baby rice to just to get him used to something else and to eating off a spoon. Gradually introducing solids to him. I'm not a massive fan from what I've heard on BLW. Would rather give him purée off a spoon. (I know... controversial again lol).

I'm using Tommee Tippee bottles and using the stage 2 teats. He's been on them since he was 4 weeks old as he used to get a blister and never finish a good feed because he stage 1 were too slow.

I said to my mum maybe he's just lazy. We have the fast flow teats ready but are yet to use them. Maybe they might be my next step instead?

NapQueen Fri 17-Feb-17 16:19:05

Try the fast flow teats. And the frequent feeds in the day are what are sustaining him through the night. Id not be too hasty to try and space them out more as it may have a knock on effect.

The fact remains their gut isnt mature enough to handle foods yet and any decision to do so needs to be done with someone medical.

Id be pretty upset if dh made such a big decision as when to wean without my imput.

Afreshstartplease Fri 17-Feb-17 16:20:18

I would try the next stage teats yes

With my older two I just did purees, DC3 I did a bit of both which I'll probably do again this time

notangelinajolie Fri 17-Feb-17 16:25:22

On the suggestion of the HV I gave all 3 of mine rice mixed with a little of their formula on a spoon. They were taking full bottles and she said they were ready for more than just milk. So, I mixed a little rice with some of the milk. Nothing sinister or bad - it wouldn't be on the shelves if it was. They were all younger than 6 months and they all lived to tell the tale.

GemSingleton Fri 17-Feb-17 16:29:18

If I'm honest I wasn't going to tell him to begin with. But then I thought if it was the other way around I would want to know. Wether I agreed or not.

I shall try the fast flow teats see how he gets on. Was just worried it would come at him too quick and make him sick. He hasn't got the blister like he did when we first changed his teats.

It makes total sense now you've mentioned if that his feeds throughout the day keep him satisfied at night to be able to sleep through.

He's a good baby and I'm very lucky with him. He has about 8 bottles a day like I say every 2 hours but he's gaining weight 👍🏼

Bert2e Fri 17-Feb-17 16:31:50

You might want to do a bit of Googling about arsenic concentrations and baby rice!

Afreshstartplease Fri 17-Feb-17 16:33:07

I know it can feel a bit relentless when your constantly making up a bottle and feeding baby. Before I weaned my ds2 he would take 9 oz of the hungry stuff every two hours. It was just like I spent my entire day feeding him!

GemSingleton Fri 17-Feb-17 16:36:03

If I'm honest I can't be arsed to sit and google and read through conflicting crap. I have too much to do in the day. Hence why it was just easier to post here rather than find millions of conflicting advice.

Bert2e Fri 17-Feb-17 16:40:07

Ok then I'll post a link for you! www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/2011/12/nine-good-reasons-not-to-use-baby-rice.html it makes for some very interesting reading

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now