Talk

Advanced search

MiniPPH has lost interest in evening milk at 13mths old - this is a bit early isn't it?

(16 Posts)
PrincessPeaHead Wed 28-Feb-07 19:18:40

You'd have thought I'd remember with no 4 but I don't really. I assumed she would be having a bottle of milk after bath/before bed up until 18 months or so, but for the last 5 or 6 nights she has taken anything between a couple of sips and an ounce. She's feeling fine etc so nothing else has changed.
Is she just dropping her milk? Will I have to start stuffing her with cheese to compensate?

She is a chunky monkey so I'm not worried about calories, more about calcium. Whaddya think?
TIA!

Bagpuss30 Wed 28-Feb-07 19:22:11

TBH I wouldn't worry. I have found the same with ds2 (3rd baby) and try to compensate with cheese and yoghurt but don't go mad with worry about it as I figure that he will have what ever he needs from his diet.

LadyMacbeth Wed 28-Feb-07 19:22:23

Is she having lots for supper before bed?
Is she still having her midday milk?

DD2 is 16mths and dropping her midday milk as it was upsetting her evening appetite.

PrincessPeaHead Wed 28-Feb-07 19:25:19

Oh dear she hasn't had midday milk for AGES. She really got into food quite quickly (as evidenced by her thighs ) and dropped midday at about ummm 10 months?
She has a morning bottle (about 5 oz) then breakfast cereal with another 3 or 4oz on it, then that is it until pre-bed drink. That has been around 4 or 5 oz as well until she has started dropping that, and this week she has had practically nothing.

She is a trencherman at mealtimes though!

PrincessPeaHead Wed 28-Feb-07 19:27:32

looking at what I've written it isn't much milk is it.
But she does like a big chunk of cheese. And she'll have a yoghurt or a petit filou a day. And various cheesy/milky sauces/concoctions during the week (macaroni cheese, bread sauce, cauliflower cheese or whatever)...

LadyMacbeth Wed 28-Feb-07 19:30:14

Well, I'm sure she's fine if she's having 9oz already in a day plus lots to eat! The lovely chunky thighs say it all!

Dd2 waded through four bowls of my cottage pie this evening then had milk on top but that is the first proper meal I've managed to get down her all week - she was existing solely on fruit, bread and milk for days!

ScoobyDooooo Wed 28-Feb-07 19:32:24

My dd is 13 months is well & she still loves her milk, she has her breakfast at about 8am then has a 7oz bottle of milk about 10am she then has her lunch at about 12 & goes to bed with a bottle of water, she then has dinner & about 1.5hrs later goes to bed with a bottle of 7oz's again.

I would not worry to much but just make sure she has other things like you are doing, i don't remember when my ds stopped his milk but all kids are different, i am sure she will be fine.

PrincessPeaHead Wed 28-Feb-07 19:33:52

Oh no, she eats considerably more than my 3 year old.
At breakfast she eats her bowl of cereal, then the leftovers of ds2s, then a piece of toast. Lunch today was a big plate of chicken casserole and rice which she shoved in her mouth with both fists, then scraped all her droppings out of her bib and ate those too. Then fruit and yoghurt.
This evening she had half a haddock fillet poached in milk, peas and mashed potato, a banana, a satsuma and some grapes.

No wonder she can't be arsed with milk!

ScoobyDooooo Wed 28-Feb-07 19:33:58

Saying that sometimes in the afternoon when i try to get her to bed with the water she does not take it cause she wants milk, if she drops off i leave it if not i may give her a few more ozs.

LadyTophamHatt Wed 28-Feb-07 19:34:39

PPH, have you tried given it to her in a new cup/bottle?
Mine are always thrilled with new drinking vessels and it usually works a treat

ScoobyDooooo Wed 28-Feb-07 19:34:56

pph it sounds like she is just loving her food more, her diet sounds fine i would not worry about the milk to be honest.

ScoobyDooooo Wed 28-Feb-07 19:36:16

When dd was about 9 months she would not take her milk, i saw the doctor & she said as long as she was eating cheese, yougurts etc then it would be fine, she was not worried at all, if you want reassurance pop to gp or hv they will put your mind at ease

Miaou Wed 28-Feb-07 19:36:52

I'm trying to remember what ds was having at 13 months ... I seem to remember that at 15 months he was having a cup of milk with his breakfast, one with lunch and water with his tea, then a cup of milk just before bedtime ... but then he started drinking less and less of his bedtime milk until he refused it altogether. So I swapped milk for water at teatime and gave him water at lunch instead, which he still has now. Not sure how much a cup holds - it's a standard anywayup cup! I guess half a pint . HTH.

PrincessPeaHead Wed 28-Feb-07 19:37:03

I tried that this evening LTH! In a tommee tippee sippy cup she slurps water out of at meal times. She was MOST interested in it, particularly in shaking it hard to watch the milk go all over the carpet - had about 3 sips and then threw the cup at my head!

scooby I think you are right, I think she is just more into food than milk. Always has been, sort of I suppose. Will make a concerted effort to keep up the cheese/dairy stuff. Thank you everyone!

BarryTook Wed 28-Feb-07 19:38:06

ds stopped milk completely at 12mo

we tried cows milk and formula, warm and cold, in a beaker and in a bottle - nothing made a difference

we were stressing ourselves out asking each other how many fractions of an ounce he'd drunk at any time, so we decided to just leave it

for the next few months i included cheese, yoghurt etc wherever possible, but i very much doubt he got the rda for his age. luckily he's always been fine with it in food, even on cereals - just not as a drink

even as a small baby he was slurp-done. bfed for 2 mins each side - a real powerdrinker. def fed for survival rather than pleasure!

he's now 21mo and i'm slowly trying to bring him around again - diltuing choc flavoured milk with regular milk to drink for eg

anyway, sorry to waffle about mememe. i don't think it's the end of the world, and there are ways to increase calcium in her diet. good luck

PrincessPeaHead Wed 28-Feb-07 20:01:51

thanks tutter
will try to keep the morning milk going as long as poss then...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now