Talk

Advanced search

Weaning early due to cmpa

(6 Posts)
Craftycakey15 Thu 09-Feb-17 22:24:52

I have been told by the gastroenterologist to wean my baby early at 17 weeks as her weight gain had been slow due to reflux and cmpa. Has anyone else done it this early for this reason? Should I expect her to fulfil any criteria? He didn't mention and I forgot to ask? Does the baby need to hold their head up for any length of time? Any advice on how to get started would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 10-Feb-17 12:53:12

Personally, i would question that for this reason. She will only be able to have fruit and veg which is way less calorie dense than her milk.

Which milk is she on Crafty?

SJMBABYLOVE01 Sat 11-Feb-17 14:57:47

I had the same circumstances at 17 weeks with my first dd, hospital told me to introduce solids at that stage as apparently the food helps the reflux stay down, as well as get more nutrition into them as my dd would literally only have milk while almost asleep. She was on neonate milk and partly bf I cut out all dairy, also on domoeridone, ranitradine and gaviscon. .

We just started very slow with veg and fruit mashed or blended. I think banana and advocado helped with weight gain. . Although all the mashing and spoon feeding was very different to the baby led weaning on finger foods I'd imagined at 6 months.
I do believe the solids kept her out of hospital as she had such a bad association with milk, burnt windpipe that we could not carry on how we were. .
Good luck, not a easy time for you

Craftycakey15 Sat 11-Feb-17 16:01:44

My baby is now on Alfamino.

Yes, Im going to start with veg and fruit. We saw a top paediatric gastroenterologist at the Portland hospital but I dont remember him looking at her windpipe? Good idea to go for high cal fruit. I am looking at introducing low acidic foods and also have to, of course, be dairy free and I was told to do soya free.
Can I ask how you fed baby at 17 weeks? Did they sit in a highchair or was it too soon? Did you just hold them? Im so scared of baby choking? How much did you give at the beginning?

SJMBABYLOVE01 Sat 11-Feb-17 16:28:05

Yes low acidic and soya free also, do was able to sit propped up in high chair. I mixed the purree with her milk so it was sloppy and gradually built my confidence to slowly build up, just a spoon or two at first she will let you know if she wants more!

I don't remember what they did about the windpipe but I know they said it can take good few weeks after dairy stopped to heal.

My girl is nearly 4 now and still dairy intolerant although we are working on the milk ladder under supervision of the paediatrician.

Good luck

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 11-Feb-17 17:43:38

Crafty I started my first at 17 weeks a long time ago. If you want to give it a try, baby should be fine in a high chair and being spoon fed. I used to make batches and freeze them in ice cube trays. She will probably only take one or two ice cubes worth for a while and don't expect it to be quick. Like SJM says, it might be a good idea to mix it with her milk for a bit.

As she has an allergy, I think the advice is to introduce one new food every few days and to try the new food in the morning. That way if she has a reaction, she'll have all day to hopefully get it through her system before bed.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: