Talk

Advanced search

When to start weaning? calling all bottlefeeders!!

(8 Posts)
amyjade Mon 26-Feb-07 20:20:04

Ds is nearly 15 weeks and bottlefed. I am unsure about when to start weaning him as my HV said that it's ok to wean a bottlefed baby at 4 months as the risks of weaning too early only apply to breastfed babies is this right?

My 2 Dd's where both weaned at 4 months and where fine, no allergies etc, should i wait till 6 months or just go with the flow and wean him at 4 months?
He's a big baby with a good appetite but is still waking twice in the night so i'm wondering if weaning him at 4 months will help?

lulumama Mon 26-Feb-07 20:21:39

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

the 6 month recommendation applies to all babies regardless of breast or bottle !!!

weaning at 4 months will not make him sleep, if he is not ready to sleep ! milk, milk and more milk is fine for him ! more nutritious and filling than a small of amount of food

CorrieDale Mon 26-Feb-07 20:23:49

Not a bottlefeeder but your HV is wrong - the guidelines don't just apply to bf babies.

IME weaning doesn't help sleep! And there is research along the same lines. (Others will no doubt have different experiences, so all you'll be able to conclude is that it might, and it might not. Peronally I think that it's not worth the risk.)

lulumama Mon 26-Feb-07 20:24:45

i have bottlefed both mine,who slept through at weeks old, so nothing to do with solids, IME

PrisonerCellBlockAitch Mon 26-Feb-07 20:27:00

wow, your Health Visitor is an absolute Menace. for the record, my non-weaned dd's sleep really got more settled after she had her 16 week growth spurt so sometimes i wonder if it's hard for the more idiotic HVs to separate a natural settling from early weaning?

anyway, try to stick it out til 6 months, that's the current guideline and it's better safe than sorry iykwim?

franca70 Mon 26-Feb-07 20:46:29

I'd wait until 6 months. That is also when they actually start to show a bit of interest in food. Have to say though that both mine started to sleep through after they were eating solids twice a day. It'd be easy to find a correlation there. But I think they were "more" ready for it, like lulumama said.

amyjade Mon 26-Feb-07 21:10:53

Thanks everyone. i will try aand hold off with the weaning untill nearer 6 months.

It's strange actually how Dd1 was the only one to have slept through at 8 weeks and was exclusively bottlefed and how Dd2 and Ds were breastfed for about 6 weeks and are terrible sleepers?
Dd2 is 20 months and has only slept thrugh a handfull of times !!

entropy Mon 26-Feb-07 23:36:29

just to confirm what the others have said, weaning does not equal sleep

weaning is making my dd (6 months) wake up in the night. (she slept through from 7 wks) she is very opinionated as to what she will and won't eat and on the days she spurns my attempts at food she sleeps like a log.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now