Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Water alongside first stages of weaning...

(7 Posts)
ButtMuncher Wed 01-Feb-17 17:14:28

Hi all,

I've tried to look this up but what with a baby who doesn't nap well during the day, I end up only reading parts of articles!

I've just started offering my DS some purees - not loads, just a texture thing really as he's shown a lot of signs of needing weaning - 9oz bottles every 3/4 hours, no tongue reflex etc. He doesn't have a load whatsoever, perhaps half a pouch of Ella's Kitchen at the most, but I'm starting to get a bit confused over protocol when offering water - is it alongside whatever foods we're trying, or only if it's a certain amount, or simply once a day sort of thing? To put it into perspective, he's not reducing much of his milk at all in compensation so I know he's not taking a great deal in when trying foods in comparision to milk, but I don't want to risk him getting dehydrated as he generally no longer night feeds anymore and therefore goes a while without milk (sometimes up to 12 hours - I've followed his lead on this).

If water should be offered - should I see a decline in the amount of milk he's taking in? Is the water offering more of a 'routine' type exercise i.e.; drinking water with food?

Sorry for all the questions - rather tired, overworked FTM grin

dementedpixie Wed 01-Feb-17 17:17:34

I offered a small amount of water in a lidded cup alongside meals. For ages they only took a few sips and milk intake was unaffected. At this stage it's more about getting used to the cup than the amount of water taken

KP86 Wed 01-Feb-17 17:18:51

How old is DC? They don't need water until after 6 months, until then milk is perfect.

FormerlyFrikadela01 Wed 01-Feb-17 17:20:24

I've been giving water alongside meals. He isn't really fussed for it to be honest but I give it to form the habit more than anything else.

As far as I'm aware the first few months of weaning is for taste and experimenting rather than nutrition which is still largely covered by milk. DS has actually started drinking more milk since we started weaning (he's 7 months we started properly on Xmas day which was bang on 6 months) so no idea about dropping a feed.

isthistoonosy Wed 01-Feb-17 17:20:49

We gave water in a sippy cup along side food, we started tastes at 4 months were prob where you are at around 5 months. Although we didn't bother with pureeing and just mashed veg /fruit with a little milk purposely leaving a little lumpy so he learnt texture as well. Not much water was really drank bit he tried and gradually learnt to use the cup. We didn't see a reduction in milk until we purposely dropped bottles around 9 months, although the number of bottles reduced before that the amount in each increased.

Heirhelp Wed 01-Feb-17 17:35:42

Food is way lower calories than milk so food has no impact on milk intake for a good while.

Is your lo six months old? That is the main sign that they are ready for food.

I offer water in an open cup with food.

ButtMuncher Wed 01-Feb-17 20:51:04

DS is 5 months - I know recommendations are 6 months, but he was a priceless example of early weaning as recommended by HV - he couldn't physically fit anymore milk in! All red flag signs had gone so we were given the green light to have a shot.

Thanks for the tips - I bought a lidded beaker which is suitable for his age, so I'll try with that + cooled boiled water just to be on the safe side. He's only had a few mouthfuls of odd pouches, and has digested/taken to them really well - he was already trying to grab our food at 3.5 months over Christmas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now