Talk

Advanced search

Rusks....

(18 Posts)
NineUnlikelyTales Mon 26-Feb-07 13:52:27

My mum is adamant that my DS needs rusks. Apparently they will make his teeth come through quicker.

I think this is a pile of pants, but I am happy to make some rusks if necessary and I have a recipe. Though looks to me as though I might just as well hand him the digestives and be done with it.

I am doing BLW (started yesterday, v exciting and I wonder whether this is my mum's attempt to drag me back into the 1970s....

Any thoughts?

Nine

nailpolish Mon 26-Feb-07 13:53:39

why would it help teeth?

<confused>

taylormama Mon 26-Feb-07 13:54:54

never heard that - teeth come through in their own sweet time ...

kittypants Mon 26-Feb-07 13:55:31

i cant find where info is from but was told on cooking course a rusk has same sugar as mcvities hobnob.will find info!

hunkerdave Mon 26-Feb-07 13:56:42

They'll start to rot any teeth that do come through because they all contain sugar.

Both my DSs had teeth before they had any food at all - so no need to give them at all if you don't want to.

WanderingTrolley Mon 26-Feb-07 13:57:03

You are right.

Tis pants.

She has been watching too much Life On Mars.

Hide her Chic albums and set fire to her Afghan coat immediately.

lulumama Mon 26-Feb-07 13:57:14

my HV confiscates rusks !! they are sugary biscuits, even the low sugar ones...

they are not necessary and won;t help a jot with teeth !!

a nice firm carrot stick is good for gnawing on when teething

Nip Mon 26-Feb-07 13:57:16

I dontk now if thats true - but i was told to steer clear of rusks because they are full of sugar - i even bought the sugar free or whatever they are called and they are still packed full of sugar..... so personally if you want to help his teeth DONT give him rusks!

HTH

Enid Mon 26-Feb-07 13:58:09

i love rusks

I do try to avoid them though

mine always liked celery when teething (like the wonder pets)

DizzyBint Mon 26-Feb-07 14:00:28

how would they make their teeth come through quicker? maybe she is imagining a baby fed on puree needs something hard to gnaw on to break the gums for the teeth to come through. in which case this is not applicable to you cos you're doing blw so your lo is no doubt gnawing on all kinds of veggies anyway.

terramum Mon 26-Feb-07 14:52:18

Pile of pants - ask your mum if patting the soles of your LOs feet will make her walk quicker as well ....teeth come through when they are ready to, just like every other development

terramum Mon 26-Feb-07 14:54:08

Sorry just turned your DS into a girl

deaconblue Mon 26-Feb-07 14:54:34

How strange. Maybe she's thinking of those biccie peg things which are meant to be good for teething babies to chew on? They don't make teeth come quicker though

NineUnlikelyTales Mon 26-Feb-07 15:12:16

Oh bless her, my mum's full of strange ideas. I think she just likes to have some advice to dish out on every occasion, even if she hasn't got a clue.

Sigh. looks like it's going to be yet another case of me not following the norm and having to explain why all the time without causing offence to the 30,000 family members who brought up babies before me....see also co-sleeping, vegetarianism etc, etc..

ScottishThistle Mon 26-Feb-07 15:16:52

Hard things help teeth to break through the gum, I always give carrot sticks & try not to give sweet things to little ones.

Rusks are delicious however & my Diabetic 30yr old Sister still eats them...loaded with sugar as they are!

3xamum Mon 26-Feb-07 15:22:01

My DS loves rusks (yes shoot me I KNOW they are full of sugar} & he had 16 teeth before he was a year. Now I know why

NineUnlikelyTales Mon 26-Feb-07 16:12:32

Blimey 3xamum, maybe my mum's stumbled upon a scientific phenomenon here

3xamum Mon 26-Feb-07 20:09:15

Forget Bonjela, babies teething troubles are over with rusks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now