Talk

Advanced search

At what age can DS eat popcorn?

(15 Posts)
KoalasAteMyHomework Tue 31-Jan-17 17:05:47

Just that really. I have a popcorn machine which pops it with just hot air so thought if I tossed it in some butter it would be a fairly healthy snack for him. He is nearly 2 and blw but wasn't sure if I read something about popcorn getting caught in the throat or if I just imagined that...!

InfinityPlusOne Tue 31-Jan-17 17:08:14

It can be a choking hazard so it's up to you if you feel comfortable giving him some. I don't give it to my 20 month old but I do let my 4/5 year old have some.

KoalasAteMyHomework Tue 31-Jan-17 17:22:35

OK thanks I might hold off on it for a couple of years then!

KoalasAteMyHomework Tue 31-Jan-17 17:22:38

OK thanks I might hold off on it for a couple of years then!

Soubriquet Tue 31-Jan-17 17:24:54

I actually let my ds have some the other day

He is 2 in March

Made sure they had no kernels hiding in them and he had a small handful

Loved em!

KoalasAteMyHomework Tue 31-Jan-17 17:28:33

Hmm that's interesting to know Soubriquet

newmumwithquestions Tue 31-Jan-17 17:33:38

I also let mine 2.5y and 13 m have some.
My understanding is that it's unpopped kernels that are the choking hazard (I check very carefully) However I can't remember where I got that from so don't take it as 100%
Don't organix do snack bags of popcorn for toddlers?

InfinityPlusOne Tue 31-Jan-17 17:38:56

It's really a parents' call, I fully admit to being a bit over cautious when it comes to choking hazards. As far as I know the most problematic foods are grapes, cherry tomatoes, sausages, marshmallows and popcorn but there's ways to minimise the risk by not giving them whole/in large pieces so that's what I do.

InfinityPlusOne Tue 31-Jan-17 17:42:27

Don't organix do snack bags of popcorn for toddlers

It's 'puffcorn' so not the same, the kind of thing that melts in the mouth much more than normal crisps/popcorn.

LeopardPrintSocks1 Tue 31-Jan-17 17:44:07

Mines eaten it and she's 1. Her brother has it so hard to stop her. She's gagged a couple of times but not choked.

KoalasAteMyHomework Tue 31-Jan-17 17:55:51

Yes I've heard of all those hazards infinity so still cut up grapes and sausages etc. Just didnt know popcorn was one! Sounds like it's down to the parent and how they think the child would handle it. I'll probably spend hours trying to decide and it'll probably turn out he'll hate it when I do finally give him some haha!

TheCaptainsCat Tue 31-Jan-17 18:03:02

Popcorn is a choking hazard, not the unpopped kernel. In places it's eaten more this is quite well known, and just recently there was a story in the news about a toddler who choked on a piece of popcorn. I'd not give it to my daughter when there are less chokable options. At least not until she's 3/4.

KoalasAteMyHomework Tue 31-Jan-17 18:14:34

Fair enough Captain hadn't heard that story. Have plenty of snack options, I just fancied changing it up a bit and as I'm making some for DH who is currently on a health kick I thought about giving some to DS.

Zahrah5 Tue 31-Jan-17 21:27:37

Have been choking with popcorn myself while an adult. Almost became unconscious.
I think there are safer and healthier options to give to toddlers as snacks.

llangennith Tue 31-Jan-17 21:32:29

As it's so popular in the States maybe an American mom will let us know how early they start on popcorn over there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now