Talk

Advanced search

Is waking 6month old weaning DD for last feed a bit daft?

(11 Posts)
JournosAreLazy Mon 30-Jan-17 13:14:06

DD1 is nearly 7 months old (she was 6 weeks early incase that makes a difference). Have started weaning her over the past month though she's still on purees. Her current feeding routine is:

7.45/8am -7oz bottle
9/9.30am - baby porridge or fruit purée
12.30am - 7oz bottle
1pm - puréed veg
5pm - 7oz bottle
5.30pm - puréed veg
8.30pm - 7oz bottle

I'll be introducing meat into her purees in a week or so. She has no real interest in eating finger food - would rather play with it - but she'll devour whatever I feed her purée wise.

She wakes at approx 7.15am and normally wants a 30min nap at 8.30am and another at 11.30am, 2.30pm and again from 4-4.45pm. She can't seem to cope yet with being awake for more than 2hrs without having a 30min nap.

She goes down for the night in her cot between 7pm-7.30pm. I wake her at 8.30pm to give last bottle and change nappy and she goes back to sleep again at about 9.15pm until the next morning.

Waking her up at 8.30pm is starting to seem a bit crazy. The reason I do so it because it would seem too long without a feed from 5pm until the next morning.

Is this too long?

Is 4x 7oz bottles too much now that she has started weaning? She generally finishes every one of them.

Should I give a smaller bottle e.g. 4oz instead at 7pm and then leave her for the night?

I can't really stretch the 5pm one any later as she would get too hungry and cranky.

She's my first so have never done this before ! What do you think?

Thanks

MrsJayy Mon 30-Jan-17 13:20:35

Personally i would give her a 70z bottle before bed at 7.30 and see how she goes the more she eats the less she should drink but you have just started weaning so it is fine i weaned a ,million years ago but i started reducing lunch bottle by about 4 0Z morning and bed bottle was last to go.

JournosAreLazy Mon 30-Jan-17 13:27:24

Thanks,will try that I think. Bit unsure as to whether I'm feeding her too much or too little at the moment and how long is too long to go without milk.

MrsJayy Mon 30-Jan-17 13:38:39

I would wait till weaning is established before cutting down milk she might start torefuse to finish milkthe more she is eating so that is a cue really

Doje Mon 30-Jan-17 14:36:15

I agree, give her the last bottle before bed at 7pm. If she wakes early because she's hungry, you can always go back to what you were doing.

And don't be in a rush to reduce milk, it will happen in time, and there's no rush!

welshweasel Mon 30-Jan-17 14:41:49

At 6 months my DS's routine was:

0630 wake and 7oz
0745 breakfast
0900 nap
1130 lunch
1pm nap
2pm 7oz
3.30pm tea
6.30pm 7oz and bed.

He's not much different now at one except he has a cup of milk to replace the two daytime bottles and usually a bowl of ready brek at 5ish when we get home from nursery.

At 6 months we were still waking him for a bottle about 10pm but decided that waking him up was a bit ridiculous and stopped. I don't think it's too long for them to go without milk/food.

Hellmouth Mon 30-Jan-17 14:44:46

DS (7 months)usually goes from 8pm to 6am without a feed. At that age, they can sleep through without needing anything. If you're worried about not getting enough calories in during the day, then up the bottle amounts or feed more often. DS is not weaned yet. We've been offering food but he is rejecting everything, it's very annoying sad

2014newme Mon 30-Jan-17 14:45:04

I used to give last bottle at 6 can you push it back by an hour? By 15 mins every three days. Or to 6.30

JournosAreLazy Mon 30-Jan-17 20:44:19

Gave her a 7oz bottle at 7.30pm this evening but she only drank 5oz of it and woke crying at 8.10pm though settled back easily. Will see if she sleeps through or wakes at 4am hungry grin

kel1234 Mon 30-Jan-17 20:48:50

I've never ever woke my baby for milk. Don't see the need tbh.

Lullaby86 Tue 31-Jan-17 22:58:06

Hi there! My baby is the same age and we have a similar routine with a few differences. I breastfeed, so I don't know about milk quantities, but why don't you anticipate the 5pm bottle to 4pm, give her something to eat and then give her the last bottle at around 7 pm after you change her into the night nappy? That way you wont have to wake her and hopefully she'll be ok until the morning. Hope it helps. Take care!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now