Talk

Advanced search

BLW - What Happens To The Milk?

(15 Posts)
Autumn78 Sun 25-Feb-07 21:43:20

I know at first you carry on with the milk as normal whilst your baby explores different foods.

But when and how do you reduce milk feeds?

And when do solids be the primary food for baby?

I know that you keep they're night feed, until they naturally cut back, so they don't wake at odd hours in the night.

Need any and all suggestions, advice etc.

Thanks

hercules1 Sun 25-Feb-07 21:44:12

Milk is the main food until a year and before that food is really just for tasting and experimenting.

chirpygirl Sun 25-Feb-07 21:47:52

I am not sure if you are talking abour BF or FF but I BF my DD, I just kept feeding her on demand around her 3 meals, which was normally as follows
7am BF
8am brekkie
half 10 11ish BF
12 lunch
Sometimes BF between 1 and 2
2-3 (after nap) BF
5 tea
7 - BF before bed

HTH a bit!

Autumn78 Sun 25-Feb-07 21:49:16

Wow, quick response. But if they are having all their milk feeds as normal, will they still have an appitate for food? Or is it a case of, they'll play with it and unintentionally swallow because its in their mouth?

If they do have milk feeds until they're a year old? How do you wean them off of it when they're a year old.

I'm intrested, because I breast and bottol feed and have to stop breastfeeding before I go back to work in August.

Twinklemegan Sun 25-Feb-07 21:55:58

Don't know how you feel about bottle feeding Autumn, but one of my reasons for not doing blw was that I wasn't too keen on DS continuing to have so much formula. I'm happier that he has cut down on some of the formula (still gets 21oz ish) and gets more nutrients from non-processed fresh food than he'd be able to get if he was exclusively finger feeding.

chirpygirl Sun 25-Feb-07 21:56:07

I fed her like this because it left a big enough gap before meals for her to be hungry enough to actually be interested in her food if that makes sense!

I weaned DD onto cows milk at 1 by just stopping BFing in the day (wouldn't recommend it but I had to!) and she now has a bottle in the afternoon and one at night, I just give her a snack (fruit or cereal bar ro something like that) or water if she seems hungry in the morning.

chirpygirl Sun 25-Feb-07 22:01:44

'gets more nutrients from non-processed fresh food than he'd be able to get if he was exclusively finger feeding. '

I have to say that DD gets lots of non-processed fresh food and is wholly finger fed.

littlelapin Sun 25-Feb-07 22:03:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Autumn78 Sun 25-Feb-07 22:36:09

Thanks for the advice. It really helps.

LITTLEAPIN No you're not crazy. I am! I posted my thread on 2 other forums, to get replies from people who may not use this one. I'm desperate for advice. See I'm great with routine (not strict routine), but when I'm told to wing it and let baby take the lead I get stuck!!!??? I left my baby manual at the hospital. LOL

Autumn78 Sun 25-Feb-07 22:37:54

Oh I breast and bottle feed ds. Breast during the day and bottle before bed and around 10.30pm.

littlelapin Sun 25-Feb-07 22:38:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Autumn78 Sun 25-Feb-07 22:55:31

This website has cleared things up for me.

http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/vastvoedsel/rapleyguidelines.html

Thanks! x

Twinklemegan Tue 27-Feb-07 22:03:21

Point taken chirpygirl. What I meant is that DS wouldn't take as much solid food if he was finger feeding which would mean he'd need yet more processed formula milk to make up for it. That's not to say I shovel food down him, just that finger food mostly ends up squashed and/or on the floor. He obviously gets the recommended 16-20oz or so of formula a day, but I'd prefer him not to have much more than that. Does that make sense?

chirpygirl Wed 28-Feb-07 15:50:48

Makes perfect sense!

I think I just got my back up as most people in RL assume I just feed her marmite on toast...just cos that's all I eat!

Twinklemegan Wed 28-Feb-07 23:01:35

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: