Talk

Advanced search

Honey advice

(13 Posts)
Waswondering Sun 25-Feb-07 19:38:37

I know babies under 1 year cannot have honey due to the risk of infant botulism. But does this apply in cooked products? Was out recently and didn't want to have a slice of honey and almond cake because I wasn't sure if dd could pick at bits with me (see how self sacrificing I am?)

Also wasn't sure if I could make eg home made honey mustard chicken for dd to have some, again if cooked?

Genuinely don't know the science!!!

TIA . . .

Waswondering Sun 25-Feb-07 19:48:32

If I add "BLW" to the title will anyone read it?

readyandwaiting Sun 25-Feb-07 20:57:28

lol about adding BLW to title (i read it anyway )

hopefully someone has more scientific background on this than me but my understanding is that botulism is a bacterial infection of the bowl - i believe the bacteria in honey would be killed in the cooking process therefore making it ok???

like i say don't quote me on this - have you googled it for more info?

iris66 Sun 25-Feb-07 21:00:33

I'd be more worried about the chicken than the honey TBH. As long as it's all cooked it shouldn't be a problem.

tiktok Sun 25-Feb-07 23:13:44

Commercially-packaged honey is almost always pasteurised, WW - if in doubt, ask the retailer.

Waswondering Mon 26-Feb-07 09:03:56

Thanks tiktok. Do you think Sainsburys would know?

MrsBadger Mon 26-Feb-07 09:11:16

tiktok, call me mad, but I was under the impression that C.botulinum (the bug responsible) formed spores that don't die under pasteurisation - they need to get above boiling point - hence the avoidance of even supermarket honey.

But I am ready to be proved wrong as it's while since I did this...

Waswondering Mon 26-Feb-07 15:06:35

D'ya reckon my HV would know??

MrsBadger Mon 26-Feb-07 15:10:16

unlikely!

Personally I wouldn't ever do it straight from the jar even if I could confirm it had been pasteurised, but would be ok with small amounts in cooked things like cakes, or the sticky chicken dish you mention if it had been cooked with the meat not just drizzled on at the end.

Seona1973 Mon 26-Feb-07 19:50:01

the jars have warnings on them that they are not suitable for under 1 year - apparently they cant kill the bacteria without caramelising the honey.

tiktok Tue 27-Feb-07 20:25:43

MrsB, I've done a check on this, and some sources say pasteurisation makes it safe (and pasteurisation takes substances above boiling, IIRC) and other sources say not...so I don't know now!!

Whatever....the risk is tiny, and must be invisible in cakes and cooked chicken .

MrsBadger Wed 28-Feb-07 08:45:18

Pasteurisation is usually heating to 71.5ºC for 15sec - def not above boiling point and not hot enough to kill the spores, which are tough little things.
Agree it'd be fine once cooked though.

Waswondering Wed 28-Feb-07 13:28:39

Thanks all, esp tiktok - you're a star! I was more concerned about depriving myself from delectable cakes if dd was there too. Am not in a huge hurry re honey, though ds (3.6y) is very partial to honey on toast, with crusts removed, and cut into triangles. (That last bit is sooo important!!!)

Funny though that on the day of her first birthday it's suddenly safe!!!!!

Again, huge thanks at looking into that for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now