Talk

Advanced search

Why oh why do people want to feed my dd crap?

(9 Posts)
LaDiDaDi Sun 25-Feb-07 14:58:44

I'm getting a bit fed p with other people asking me why dd aged 9 months can't have stuff like biscuits, chocolate, icecream and cakes.

I feel like I'm just repeating myself over and over again. I simply can't understand why they would want me to give my dd sugary fatty foods when she merril;y tucks in to a blw diet of fish, meat, veggies, pasta, soup, bread, cheese, and loads of fruit.

Dp has her at his parent's house today as I'm supposed to be sleeping as I'm on nightshift. When I rang him to see how she was she was eating a biscuit. I could hear mil in the background say, but it's a Cow and Gate organic biscuit, yes but it's still full of sugar and more importantly SHE DOESN'T NEED A BISCUIT!

My aunt wanted her to try caramel shrotbread on Friday and my dad has already asked when she can have icecream.

I don't want her to eat stuff like that until she is old enough to ask for it and then I will take an "everything in moderation" approach but not when she is only 9 months.

Aargh! Rant over, thanks .

luckylady74 Sun 25-Feb-07 15:06:31

i think relatives and grandparents just want to indulge their little ones - because it's seen as a treat and food = love to the older generations i think - my mum can remember having very little to eat so is always convinced my 3 are starving! the thing that got on my wick was giving toddlers tea wtf! mind you i don't think sugar's that bad - it's hidden 'natural' sugar in fruit juice that sends my son loopy - not the odd biscuit!

shish Sun 25-Feb-07 17:46:42

Other people just don't get it!!! It drives me mad too. My ds won't eat well if he snacks too much between meals (8 months old) and people think I'm leaving him to starve cos I don't keep giving him snacks throughout the day.

DizzyBint Sun 25-Feb-07 17:53:23

MIL got dd a chocolate 'my 1st christmas' bauble, she was 7 months at the time. i ate it.

DimpledThighs Sun 25-Feb-07 17:55:36

it is hard to accept that people will try and enforce their food choices on your child. There is a point where you have to choose between laying down the law or 'overlooking' a few things that pass her lips.

As long as YOU are feeding her well and she is developing her food attitudes from YOU it is going well IMO.

Caligula Sun 25-Feb-07 18:03:59

I think it's because they're stupid, tbh.

I've tried to think of other options, but in the end I always plump for that simplistic explanation.

Or they think the child will love them more if they give her as much sugar as she can tolerate without vomiting.

chirpygirl Sun 25-Feb-07 21:33:23

Some strange woman on the bus gave my DD (who is 1) a MALTESER the other day, and couldn't understand why I snatched it off her....

'Ooh,' she says, 'a bit of chocolate won't hurt'

'Yes,' I reply, trying not to slap the silly bint silly. 'but the hard centre might, possibly, be a choking hazard, do you not think?!?!?!?'

'Honestly, you mothers today, you worry about the most ridiculous things'

Gemmitygem Mon 26-Feb-07 13:19:42

I totally agree, Ladiddah, I mean there are so many obese kids having junk food pushed at them by marketers, do they really need this 'help' from well meaning grandparents.

However, interestingly, grandparents have probably always spoilt kids a bit with sweets or thought they weren't that bad, whereas the whole marketing thing is new, so I think it's worth getting angrier with that....

glamourbadger Mon 26-Feb-07 13:50:50

The old lady at our local shop insists on giving my twins sweets - they are 10 months and to date have not eaten anything racier than a dried apricot. It doesn't matter how much I protest. I think it's a granny thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now