Talk

Advanced search

Switching to cows milk

(6 Posts)
Mummabear22 Tue 10-Jan-17 15:58:21

Hi all,

My DD is going to be 1 in a couple of weeks and I'm starting to think about switching her to cows milk.
She only has the 1 bottle per day at bedtime. She has been having cows milk in food since 6 months.
How would you recommend I do it?

Thanks

purplefizz26 Tue 10-Jan-17 16:16:05

I did 1/4 cows milk 3/4 formula then reduced the formula day by day, their tummy isn't necessarily used to all that dairy in one go so it just eases them in smile

clarabellski Fri 13-Jan-17 14:38:55

My DS is 11 months and the other night he drank his bedtime bottle and started whinging for more (been a while since he's done that, normally he leaves a bit). Rather than make up more formula, I just chucked 60ml of whole cows milk into his bottle to see if he would drink it (I've tasted formula milk and to me, it doesn't taste anything like whole cows milk!). He demolished ! We didn't observe any ill effects or change to his nappies as a result. He also has been having whole cows milk in food since 6 months, so we were assuming there was no intolerance.

So, guess I'm saying try giving him a little bit at first and see how you go. If he doesn't seem to like the taste of straight whole milk, try mixing it with formula as PP has suggested.

Mummabear22 Fri 13-Jan-17 14:52:41

I was thinking about offering her a beaker of cows milk with breakfast to get her used to it.

purplemunkey Fri 13-Jan-17 14:55:56

I did the same as purplefizz. Some take to it straight away, others need to be gradually switched. I tried just switching, DD wouldn't drink it. Instead increased the ratio of milk:formula over a few weeks and she drank it no problem.

jimijack Fri 13-Jan-17 14:59:22

Just do it, it will be fine. If she is on full diet and has been having it since 6 months she will be fine.
I take it she has yoghurt, cheese etc?
It will be fine, don't over think it just do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now