Talk

Advanced search

timings/schedule for 6 month old

(5 Posts)
CoccoPopps Mon 09-Jan-17 07:46:38

Hi just looking for a little guidance please.

I started my ds on baby porridge at 5.5mo on hv advise was refusing breakfast bottle, and i've in the last week been introducing "first tastes" of veggie purees at tea time but its going really well and he eats the whole ice cube pot normally. i'm a bit confused about when to give him his milk and when to increase the size of his dinner.

his schedule at the moment is:-

5.30-6am early morning bottle 7-8oz
8.30 porridge 2 spoons powder made up with formula
9.00 bottle but only manages about 2oz ( should i move this??)
10.30/11 until 12 nap
12 bottle takes about 6oz
2.30-3.30 nap
3.30/4 dinner first taste veggie cube followed by bottle 6 oz
7pm last bottle and bed this can vary from 4-7oz

Does this look ok? when would you increase size of dinner? would you drop the dinner bottle once having say 2 pots of food??

Also do you give a pudding at dinner time say 1 pot veggies 1 pot fruit?
sorry for all the questions but first time mum and i'm finding this whole weaning thing really daunting!!!

Heirhelp Mon 09-Jan-17 17:47:06

I am doing blw so entirely different. I always offer food half an hour after milk. I rarely do puddings as I was advised not to make this the norm but I often offer fruit with food.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 17-Jan-17 19:10:44

Cocco I'm not sure if you are in the U.K. If you are, the current advice is to offer the food roughly an hour after the milk. With that in mind, I'd move his breakfast to around 7am.

Then you could try baby with a bottle when he wakes from his afternoon nap, and give him his solid food roughly an hour later.

You aren't doing anything wrong by offering fruit and veg purees as first foods but this advice is a bit outdated. It goes back to when the advice was to wean babies at 4 months and in reality it was more like 3 months, often younger.

Even then, by 6 months almost all babies were chomping on finger foods as well as their puréed or mashed food.

How do you feel about trying a bit of finger food? If you are worried about moving away from fruit or veg, try spitting a banana lengthways, try chip shape wedges of pear or sweet potato wedges smile

CoccoPopps Sun 22-Jan-17 15:12:28

Thank you for your replies, i wasn't sure if i was doing it right or not i was told to offer food first then the milk as the food is the main source? i get so confused!

i haven't tried finger foods yet as the whole choking thing scares the crap out of me but i will give them a whirl! thanks again for your responses.

ZZZZ1111 Mon 23-Jan-17 06:55:14

Milk is the main source of nutrients until your baby is one. So you need to make sure your baby is hungry for his milk and have not just given them food before.

As others have said, you should give milk first and then a bit of food around an hour after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now