Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

9 month old not eating very much

(5 Posts)
Abbottscat Tue 03-Jan-17 13:27:35

Hi, I think I'm probably over thinking things but my DS the just doesn't seem to be eating much recently. I started weaning just after 6 months; he completely refused spoons and purees so went down the blw route. I thought it was going well and he dropped his mid morning feed a while ago but recently he just doesn't seem to be eating much at all. He's got really fussy and just flings it around until I give him toast, apple or yoghurt. I'm anxious he gets enough, especially because I've managed to convince him he doesn't need feeding every few hours at night! He will take a spoon now which is handy as well but I don't know whether to give in and spoon feed him to make sure he gets enough, or persevere. Any thoughts?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 06-Jan-17 13:59:11

If you are ffing, is he getting the recommended amount of milk? If you are bfing there is some useful information here on bfing and offering solids.

Basically though, I'd try to trust him. He knows if he's hungry. Your job is to offer an interesting range of colours, flavours and textures and his job it to chose to eat it or fling it grin

One thing I really, really recommend that yiu don't do is offer an alternative. Would you eat something you really weren't sure about if you knew that if you held out your absolute favourite would appear? Me neither smile

SilentBatperson Sat 07-Jan-17 09:11:30

Do you think spoon feeding would be helpful? If you think that would suit better, there's really no reason to continue down the BLW route. It's no better or worse than any other method, it's just about what suits the individual baby.

Abbottscat Sat 07-Jan-17 18:29:10

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely trying to trust him more, I'm breastfeeding and have used kellymom for so much info but he's got into solids much quicker than she probably recommends. Am just going to persevere and let him decide what he wants from what's on offer but no emergency toast if you he doesn't go for it!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 07-Jan-17 21:47:21

Sounds like a good plan smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now