Talk

Advanced search

Solids/breastfeeding mix at 7 months

(8 Posts)
Bex107 Tue 03-Jan-17 10:21:26

Hi all, my DS is 7 months, started BLW at 6 months and all is going surprisingly well so far... maybe too well, as I'm concerned he might be getting too much solids and not enough breast milk? I've read that breast milk should be their main source of nutrition up to age one, but he's breastfeeding noticeably less over the last couple of weeks (gone from feeding on both sides roughly 3-hourly to feeding on one side every 3-4 hours) as he's been more keen to eat solids (we're on 2 meals a day, a mix of finger foods and purees). Should I still be offering a breastfeed before any solids to ensure he's getting enough? He also seems to be feeding more at night, which I'm guessing is maybe topping up from what he's missing in the day? All the weaning advice seems to focus on dropping a breastfeed in the day as you introduce more solids, so I'm feeling a little at sea with what to do for the best!

SummerHouse Tue 03-Jan-17 10:24:50

He sounds like a happy, normal, well fed baby. I would not worry. But if you feel the balance is off just breast feed first. Sounds like you are doing better than I ever managed.

Cousinit Tue 03-Jan-17 10:27:57

No advice but following with interest as I have the same concerns about my seven month old.

Bex107 Tue 03-Jan-17 10:33:30

@Cousinit I panicked myself a bit as I read an article on Kellymom (which has been my bible so far) which suggested you should strictly limit solids up to a year old (http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-how/) but all the British literature I've read suggests otherwise confused

Cousinit Tue 03-Jan-17 10:52:35

Yes Kellymom is a great source of info for breastfeeding mums. I breastfeed on demand but dd loves her food so much I do wonder if she is getting enough milk now. I don't think I could cut back her solids though and she really seems to need food. She is very active though and started crawling at six months. This is my third child so you'd think I'd know what I was doing by now confused My first two were much slower to get into their food. I suppose we should be happy we have babies who are enjoying their food!

superking Fri 06-Jan-17 14:14:08

Was just about to post the same thread myself! I have been amazed by how much my 7 month old eats and have really noticed that he is breastfeeding much less now. I have tried offering a feed more frequently but he is not interested. I had been limiting his meals to what I thought were reasonable portions for a 7 month old but yesterday I experimented by letting him eat until he lost interest - he ate almost as much as his 3 year old brother for tea, was happy as Larry and slept through for the first time last night shock

He is my second and I took exactly the same approach with my first (BLW beginning at 6 months) but he increased his solids/ dropped his milk much more gradually.

As the whole premise of BLW is to trust your baby to take what it needs, I am going to relax and just hope the sleeping continues!

Bex107 Fri 06-Jan-17 15:56:14

Ha, Superking he sounds just like my DS! I too have been limiting his portions to what I think is reasonable, but pretty sure he would just keep going! Worry he would just make himself sick, but I may try a bigger portion tomorrow and see how he goes (and quite frankly if it makes him sleep through the night he can eat what he wants grin).

I'm finding estimating portion sizes in general really tough - on the occasion he has the Ella's pouches for example (try to do homemade most of the time) they seem massive so I only give him half. Can't find any guidelines on what is a 'normal' portion size!

1sttimemama1986 Sun 08-Jan-17 07:22:27

Hiya, similar concerns he about my 7month old although just recently stopped breastfeeding and he's now on formula (sleep has dramatically improved).

I am also worried about portion size- my boy has 3 meals a day: breakfast is usually porridge or weetabix with fruit. He'd have a whole weetabix and maybe 4-5 small tablespoons of porridge?! No idea if overfeeding 🤔

Lunch and dinner he enjoys and will eat what I consider a large portion. Should I restrict to a set portion size?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now