Talk

Advanced search

How to wean from BF if baby won't take bottle

(8 Posts)
Kmxxx14 Sat 31-Dec-16 17:16:09

DD is 3.5 months EBF. Won't take a bottle & ive tried a full range of bottles. I'm happy to BF until 6 months but after then I would rather wean onto formula.

How would I do this?

Should I wait until she is weaned onto food and starting to drop milk feeds? At what age will this be approx?

Kmxxx14 Sat 31-Dec-16 17:16:47

Would I simply start giving her milk in a cup?

BWatchWatcher Sat 31-Dec-16 17:19:51

I used a free flow sippy cup (no valve). You can get very basic tommy tippee ones from Tesco for £2 or so.
Offer water and move on to milk/formula. Mine never took a bottle but were able to drink expressed breastmilk from the cups when from 8 months.

BWatchWatcher Sat 31-Dec-16 17:21:32

By the way solids aren't meant to really be a major food source until about a year I think. They mostly try out new flavours and textures etc from 6 months. Milk/formula is still the main form of nourishment for a while.

Kmxxx14 Sat 31-Dec-16 17:25:14

Ok thank you.

Looks like I may be BF for a while longer if she doesn't take to a cup shock.

I guess it's only really the first year of her life but it's so demanding & draining sometimes I wish I could get some rest even for a couple of hours. Just need to remember it won't last forever I suppose!

Artandco Sat 31-Dec-16 17:28:35

From 6months although your feeding still it's much less demanding as they also can eat and drink water and cows milk occasionally. So daily they would have 3-4 breastfeeds at 6-12 months, but if you needs to go out for the day they would be fine with no daytime feeds and just water, milk in cup and food until you return

IWantATardis Sat 31-Dec-16 17:29:37

Weaning onto food was very gradual IME - my elder 2 DC (one bottle fed, one breast) were both nearly a year before they didn't need milk feeds during the day, older before they dropped their bedtime feeds. Probably at least a month or two into weaning before they were taking enough solids to start properly cutting down daytime feeds.

Trying milk in a cup is certainly worth a go, some babies who won't take bottles will drink from a cup.

Also - have you tried having someone else give DD a bottle while you're out? DS2 would happily take a bottle of milk from other people, but only wanted breastmilk from me when he was a baby.

TheDisreputableDog Sat 31-Dec-16 17:36:37

Mine refused bottles too. Remember once they are eating they will gradually have less milk so it's a bit less constant then now. I was down to just morning and bedtime around 12 months. Eventually my DD had formula from a tippy type cup which was more successful than any of the wide variety of bottles we tried!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now