Talk

Advanced search

Should a baby eat jelly?

(13 Posts)
P0ndLife Wed 28-Dec-16 16:50:13

Just that really... 8month old has begun to reject breakfast porridge. MIL tried jelly which he loves (she's convinced it's good for growing bones confused )
I didn't mind as an occasional thing but it's becoming regular breakfast and I'm worried about the sugar content.

Am I laying the foundation for obesity?

Background: ebf bottle refuser till 6 months, slow uptake with solids since then

JohnLapsleyParlabane Wed 28-Dec-16 16:56:05

I'd keep it as an occasional treat. Have you tried shreddies? My DD loves them.

welshweasel Wed 28-Dec-16 16:57:29

There's no reason why a baby shouldn't eat jelly (so long as it's not the raw cubes which can be a choking risk) but you're right, the sugar content isn't ideal and there's virtually no nutritional value. At 8 months they should be getting most of their calories through milk still so I wouldn't be too worried about solid refusal. There's lots of other things to try for breakfast. Weetabix, fruit, toast, lumps of cheese or ham.

eurochick Wed 28-Dec-16 17:09:35

It's pretty normal for babies and toddlers to start rejecting whatever you have just figured out that they like. Try weetabix, natural yoghurt and fruit, cheese, scrambled eggs and so on. There's nothing wrong with a bit of jelly but it offers very little nutrition.

P0ndLife Wed 28-Dec-16 17:09:45

Thanks! I hadn't thought of shreddies and he loves satsuma... Such a shame he's inherited my sweet tooth though blush

Etak15 Wed 28-Dec-16 17:17:32

It wouldn't hurt as a snack/pudding. But see what you mean about not setting up a breakfast jelly habit grin how about weetabix with warm milk, or he might like a bit of toast?

BertrandRussell Wed 28-Dec-16 17:28:21

If he likes the texture could you make juice jellies?

P0ndLife Wed 28-Dec-16 17:43:37

I think the texture is very easy for him~though the ton of sugar helps~ ... Will google juice jelly, though I suppose that's still a treat really

Etak15 Wed 28-Dec-16 17:55:28

You've just reminded me My dg used to make us milk jelly when we were little was yummy!

peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 28-Dec-16 18:02:53

No reason why they shouldn't eat jelly, but it's more of a pudding than a breakfast. Having said that, on the weekends my DH would get up with DS and feed him his breakfast (weetabix e.g.) and then his "breakfast pudding" of rice pudding shockconfused doesn't seem to have done him any harm, and at 2yo he's happy with a bowl of Cheerios now.

BertrandRussell Wed 28-Dec-16 18:04:51

Get some gelatine and make some jelly with diluted juice.

The only downside is that he will lie in bed looking pathetic when he's a teenager and a bit poorly and beg you to make him jelly "like when I was little".

LIZS Wed 28-Dec-16 18:08:37

Not for breakfast! Maybe try different foods like weetabix, mix berries or fruit puree into the porridge or plain yoghurt, or toast with jam/marmite etc.

P0ndLife Wed 28-Dec-16 18:15:26

Juice jelly, milk jelly, a whole world of healthy jelly I was unaware of grin
Fingers crossed he'll go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now