Talk

Advanced search

5 month old

(15 Posts)
Hatade16 Tue 20-Dec-16 21:03:30

Been weaning dd for two weeks now. She's bloody loving it!! Screams excitedly when the highchair comes out. Only feeding her in the evening as she was having 2x7oz within 20 mins.

Currently she's had veg/fruit. She prefers lumpy texture. She had some toast.

What Can I give her? She's really trying to pick stuff up but she gets so angry. She just seems to hit it!

She loved some of my mash yesterday

SpeakNoWords Tue 20-Dec-16 22:10:43

It's supposed to be just fruit and veg plus baby rice before 6 months, so I guess any combination of those that you fancy?

Heirhelp Wed 21-Dec-16 10:09:39

Fruit and veg have less calories than milk so if she was having lots of milk because she was hungry the food is not going to help.

Artandco Wed 21-Dec-16 10:16:12

The problem is a carrot isn't go to fill them up like carlorific formula . I would just increase milk. At 5 months, I would be feeding a bottle fed baby formula milk 6oz every 2 hours in the day (8am-10pm), and probably nothing overnight. So that's 8 bottles of 6oz in 24hrs

Artandco Wed 21-Dec-16 10:16:48

48oz a day approx

Heirhelp Wed 21-Dec-16 10:20:52

Babies should never drain a bottle. If your baby does then offer more milk. At that age my DD was sometimes having 11oz of milk.

Heirhelp Wed 21-Dec-16 10:25:01

The advise is to feed on demand. so no schedule needed, just feed the baby when they are hungry. My 7 month old has two to three bottles a night.

HeadElf Wed 21-Dec-16 10:33:43

Aptamil do a baby porridge which is great and you can make it up with her usual milk so she still gets the nutrients from the milk but it's bulked up and gets used to eating foods, as she gets used to it you can add a mashed banana or pear to it for flavours and consistency changes.

MoreThanUs Wed 21-Dec-16 10:39:04

I'd concentrate on (high calorie) milk (increase if needed) and textures of food (remembering this is for developmental reasons - not to feed her up). Different veg is a good plan. I weaned DS1 at 4 months and he loved it too! Have fun!

MoreThanUs Wed 21-Dec-16 10:39:42

Baby porridge / rice is great, although people are v snobby about it on here.

Artandco Wed 21-Dec-16 10:41:32

Of course the 2hrs is minimum , you can feed on demand more often. It's just some people say baby drains a bottle then find they only feed every 4hrs.

If you want ideas for food it's only veg and fruit of your feeding early. You can feed those that are more calorific like avocado or sweet potato or pumpkin.

Hatade16 Wed 21-Dec-16 13:17:27

Brilliant thank you. She's abig girl. Was having 7/8oz every 2 hours in the day and every 3 at night. Heath visitor thought I was over feeding her. She's 21lb. Born 8.2.

She loves her food. She's had porridge with her milk, she much prefers it thicker then really puréed. She's on anti reflux milk which is a lot thicker then normal milk.

HeadElf Wed 21-Dec-16 14:32:04

Just remember every baby is different, the guidelines are there as just that.. a guide. I have 8mo twins and ones 15lbs and the other 22lbs, they have the exact same amount of milk and now food but they are just different in every way.

Hatade16 Wed 21-Dec-16 15:27:08

Very true. I have 3 dc, she was my smallest born by 1lb8oz, yet is a lot bigger then they were now

HeadElf Wed 21-Dec-16 15:29:30

My twin1 was 5lb9 and is only now 15lb and my twin2 was 5lb1 (and a NICU baby due to poor weight gain) and is now over 22lbs they've completely switched over and we call twin2 the big little brother and porky grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now