Talk

Advanced search

9 month old still won't eat food

(5 Posts)
kaly88 Sat 17-Dec-16 13:17:49

I introduced solids to my ebf baby at 6 months old. We started with breast milk and baby rice, steamed vegis/fruits, mixed purée, Ella's pouches or any other age suitable ones I've found in the market etc etc..basically any ideas I've found on the internet!!! Everything I've mentioned above she's only ever had a lick off.. max 1/2 tsp then won't open her mouth and will keep flicking off the spoon. Tried giving her some food when she's reallyyy hungry but nope not worked, that's infact when she's most unhappy as she just wants to be breastfed. So since 1.5 months I've tried baby led weaning too..keeping pieces of fruits and vegis in front of her. She picks em up..sucks on it and throws it away. Still trying it everyday. Out of all of this The only thing she has a good few spoonfuls of is Greek yogurt! Which is exciting to see her enjoy that! But absolutely nothing else

My question is has anyone else been in this position? When do things start picking up with food? Any other ideas, tips or tricks I can use?

Thank you

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 18-Dec-16 15:39:32

I'm sure you have but have you tried offering food roughly an hour after a bf? That way she should be not too hungry and relaxed.

I'd pop the food on her tray, at this age it doesn't have to be special baby food, they can have what you are having. I'd just watch the salt and buy her sone long sleeved bibs. Don't worry if not much goes in, just let her play with it. It's important to let her get used to different tastes and textures.

If she's had Greek yogurt once, you could try some in a little pot and give her something to dip in like fruit or strips of pancake and just let her have a go whilst you eat your breakfast and wash up.

Spag Bol and roast dinners are always great for them to explore smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 21-Dec-16 13:39:44

How are you getting on now?

sud315 Wed 21-Dec-16 18:11:27

Hi Kaly,
My baby is getting into 8 months. I started weaning when he was 5 and half months and still its like the first days I started!!
He has almost 2-3 weaning spoons and that's it. Even for that I have to try over an hour!! I put a youtube baby songs video and take his attention away in order to give that tiny amount too, alas!!

My baby has severe reflux (so very poor weight gain) and we are closely monitored by pediatricians/ dietitian and health visitors all!
They don't know how I could get baby to eat more! But told me to eat with baby and take the attention away from him.

It is a slow process and it's finding what the baby would like.
If your lil one likes yogurt then try adding some berries/ fruit purees to make it taste better. then may be next time you can give the fruit alone at least?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 21-Dec-16 20:54:17

sud has your DS been checked for tongue tie?. My DS was very much the same as yours and tt was the cause.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now