Talk

Advanced search

Blw breakfast ideas that don't contain wheat

(21 Posts)
Heirhelp Wed 23-Nov-16 11:12:20

I feel like breakfast is very repetitive and wheat heavy. Currently DD has porridge fingers, toast, crumpets and fruit. I find getting us both feed and dressed before she needs her morning nap is difficult so I need something that can be prepared the night before or does not take much time.

crayfish Wed 23-Nov-16 11:16:30

Well we didn't do BLW but DS has weetabix or porridge every day so i think all breakfast options are pretty limited to be honest! I have porridge every day as well so i wouldn't be too worried about not giving enough variety as long as you are mixing up the types of fruit, giving different types of bread (white/brown/seeded/rye etc etc).

Anything non-wheat based is really going to be along the lines of omlettes and other egg things but these take longer to prepare generally. Is there are reason you are bothered about wheat intake?

crayfish Wed 23-Nov-16 11:17:09

Meant to say - porridge doesn't have wheat in it.

ShowMeTheElf Wed 23-Nov-16 11:18:42

rice crispies, rice cakes, chopped fruit, yogurt (messy so the time you save might be lost in clean up!), any dry cereal in fact (I just thought of crispies because when my eldest was at this stage crispies were considered good for self feeding and for pincer grip development).

Redkite10a Wed 23-Nov-16 11:19:51

You can make pancakes with all sorts of different flours - I've done buckwheat, oat, quinoa, teff and barley ones. You could batch cook and freeze them in advance and then defrost overnight?

ChipIn Wed 23-Nov-16 11:28:23

You could do boiled eggs, which keep in the fridge for about a week, with some avo chunks and small bits of cheese. Then follow up with banana or other fruit.

ElizaDontlittle Wed 23-Nov-16 11:34:01

Breakfast is just another meal - we as adults have these breakfast food hangups but your DD won't! What does she like to eat the rest of the day? Eggs, vegetable fingers, cooked meat, cheese (my DD would have loved to live in continental Europe as meat and cheese and yogurt were her favourite baby breakfast foods!)

savagehk Wed 23-Nov-16 11:35:34

Mine only had porridge & yoghurt, with occasional fruit added into the porridge.

2 minutes in the microwave smile

BertrandRussell Wed 23-Nov-16 11:36:16

Does he have a problem with wheat? If not, then many people have toast for breakfast every morning!

BroomstickOfLove Wed 23-Nov-16 11:46:41

Hard boiled eggs, omelette strips (with incorporated veg) rice cakes with toppings, fruit fingers (dipped in Greek yogurt), veg strips and meat or fish.

You can do those egg muffin things where you get silicone muffin cases and put some cooked vegetables and beaten egg inside and bake them until the egg is cooked, and you can keep them in the fridge for a couple of days.

Heirhelp Wed 23-Nov-16 11:47:57

I am concerned about wheat mostly because I think too much of any food is not good and my sister has suspected coeliac disease. My sister refuses to be tested as this would mean eating wheat again and she lost lots of weight and became very ill when she was eating wheat.

Some great ideas. DD is only 6 and half months is still only picking up the larger chunk things.

MerryMarigold Wed 23-Nov-16 11:48:57

I make little patties with gluten free flour. You put a little olive oil and water, just keep adding small amounts until it is like a soft playdough (ie. you can mould it without it being too sticky) and then make balls, pat them till they are as big as the middle of your hand (you could make them smaller for him) and cook in a non stick pan with a spray of oil. They take a few mins. You can keep in the fridge and just warm them up next day.

Colby43443 Wed 23-Nov-16 11:54:14

Are you open to Indian breakfast food for baby? If so i can give you receipes. I made idli (rice cakes) or soft plain uttapa (rice pancake) or soft plain pudla (chickpea flour pancake) for my dd during weaning. I also regularly served up millet and amaranth rotis but these are hard to make.

QuilliamCakespeare Wed 23-Nov-16 11:54:16

Banana pancakes - just mashed banana and egg. Or throw in a handful of oats to give them a bit more backbone (they're a bit delicate otherwise).

There is nothing inherently wrong with eating wheat unless a specific intolerance has been diagnosed though - perhaps go for a less wheaty lunch (no bread) if you want to moderate it a bit.

Heirhelp Wed 23-Nov-16 12:02:03

I am happy to give her weight but I would rather she only had it once a day.

colby I would love those recipes thank you.

WindInThePussyWillows Wed 23-Nov-16 12:18:18

My twins are 7 months.
They have a combination of any of the following for breakfast
- Hard boiled egg - sliced
- well done scrambled egg (pick-up-able pieces) sometimes with cheese
- toast fingers
- pancake fingers
- porridge with either blueberry, banana or apple purée swirled in
- cheese/veg omelette fingers

FoggyMorn Wed 23-Nov-16 12:37:02

Porridge oats will have gluten in it unless you buy certified gluten free oats, due to contamination from wheat.

I don't eat any gluten containing grains at all. No coeliac diagnosis but many issues with even trace amounts. For my DC I take the attitude of "mostly wheat and gluten free" and there are studies that show this isn't a crazy idea- the more wheat derived products people eat (and the more frequently they eat them), the more likely they are to develop conditions related to intolerance or autoimmune response to various proteins in wheat (it's not just the gluten...).

DC is gluten/wheat free 100% of the time at home, because our kitchen is gluten/wheat (and mostly grain) free, but occasionally has a bite of cake or other party food.

Breakfast doesn't need to be "breakfast food", that's just a marketing ploy by the people who make breakfast food!

Left over dinner makes great breakfast (make more so you have leftovers!). Bubble and squeak (leftovers really) with a sausage (M&S make lovely quality gf ones), or "gipsy eggs" go down very well here, but on busy mornings sometimes nakd cashew cookie bar or 9bar (both are grain free) with some cheese cubes and fruit... takes only a few seconds to prepare.

Colby43443 Wed 23-Nov-16 13:48:18

I use the following idli receipe but substitute all of the wheat and semolina for poha (dried rice flakes- can usually get from any local Indian grocer). I don't add aesfoteda either. I usually serve it with a bit of melted cheese on top.

www.mummumtime.com/rava-idli-recipe-without-baking-soda-eno/

Colby43443 Wed 23-Nov-16 13:49:48

Sorry no mustard seeds either. Just ignore all of the tempering steps. That part is one indian food tradition that isn't great for weaning

Heirhelp Wed 23-Nov-16 19:47:02

Thank you Colby.

As she is too tired for dinner we normally have left overs for lunch.

Zahrah5 Fri 25-Nov-16 16:11:33

I would offer maturally glutten free porridge.

You can either do from flakes or better cook from grains.
For young babies especially millet is great as it is very light and contains iron. It cooks in moments.
Rice is another glutten free grain as is corn, but those both are controversial and if used it should be in moderation.

For older babies there is buckwheat.
All these can be cooked into porridges.

And you are right, wheat and glutten are culptit for digestion, it is better to offer grains which are gluten free or alternate even to babies who dont have issues with glutten.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now