6 moths blw

(17 Posts)
zombiemum123 Mon 31-Oct-16 14:24:33

So my lo is 6 months started him off on purées and he is eating great.. now I'm wanting to do blw am I right in thinking that he can have what we eat? So I was thinking tomorrow he could eat soft bread with cottage cheese for dinner then pasta for tea? Is it too early? He sits up with minimal support swallows fine etc? I think I know the answer just need encouragement as it seems like a big leap from veg and fruit purees xx

mouldycheesefan Mon 31-Oct-16 14:27:03

Mine couldnt have done that at six monyjs they were on mashed then as soon as we got the hang of mashed moved to chopped and then what you describe. They would have sucked it but not been able to chew it to swallow.

53rdAndBird Mon 31-Oct-16 14:35:06

Yes, with BLW they can just have what you're having, mostly. You need to make sure salt is low (no added salt when cooking).

Soft bread isn't always great for them to start with - harder to handle, goes all mushy and sticks to the roof of the mouth. If you toast it, it works better.

And you'd be amazed at what they can chew without teeth! Baby gums are rock hard.

zombiemum123 Mon 31-Oct-16 14:44:51

Ahh thank you! I'll problem be doing a combination of both but mainly blw, his gums are so strong he bit my finger the other day and I thought mmm maybe you could. I tend to make most things from fresh so I wouldn't be adding salt ...Anyway I'll give it a go and we will soon see thank you for the replys

TiggeryBear Mon 31-Oct-16 15:13:04

DD is almost 8 months & for the last 4-6 weeks has been eating (within reason - not burgers for example) what we're having for dinner. She's tried & enjoyed most things like lasagne, roast dinner, cous cous, cottage cheese, curry, fish fingers, spaghetti Bolognese, to name just a few. As well as the odd pouch of baby food. We've been very lucky, she loves vegetables & will happily eat most things we feed her. I'm not brave enough to let her feed herself "messy" foods but she enjoys feeding herself things like pepper sticks, cucumber sticks, baby biscuits.

TiggeryBear Mon 31-Oct-16 15:14:51

Forgot to say that with the foods we're having I've just chopped it up in to tiny pieces as I've fed it to her & gradually increased the size of the chunks.

Zahrah5 Mon 31-Oct-16 16:17:03

at 6 months baby food should really be just vegetables.

Pasta, bread, milk products are not so great foods, there are controversial issues with lactose, and gluten which are hard to digest at such young age- even later.
The BLW method where people feed whatever is not the most gentle to baby digestive system.
Keep offering vegetables, there is no where to run.

Timetogrowup2016 Tue 01-Nov-16 09:04:14

Sorry but that's wrong
After six months babies can have anything other than whole nuts honey and raw she'll fish

Op what you describe sounds fine

ObscureThing Tue 01-Nov-16 09:08:57

There is no evidence to suggest that food should just be restricted to vegetables at all.

zombiemum123 Tue 01-Nov-16 09:18:11

I gave it a go last night and it went down a treat scoffed the lot! Thanks for all the tips ladies

Zahrah5 Tue 01-Nov-16 09:33:16

Yes baby can have everything, thats what you are told but then there is no explanation why children are having allergies, intolerances, low immunity or worse.
Food is directly related to immunity because antibodies are produced in the intestines. Food for very young babies shoul be healthy and easily digestible. Freshly steamed vegetables with a bit of olive or flax oil are the best way to go for 6 m old and immature digestive system. It is not an adult.

ObscureThing Tue 01-Nov-16 09:46:13

Any evidence for that, Zahrah?

Timetogrowup2016 Tue 01-Nov-16 13:37:10

In the nicest way possible.
What a loaf of bull shit

Zahrah5 Tue 01-Nov-16 14:25:12

ObscureThing

UK is between top 3 countries in the world in rates of children allergies. Why do you think is that?

Informatiom about digestion of gluten, lactose, casein is widely available.

CornishYarg Wed 02-Nov-16 07:51:42

Point 2 on here challenges the idea that sticking to fruit and vegetables is the best plan.

www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/2013/09/13-baby-led-weaning-myths.html?m=0

Celticlassie Sun 13-Nov-16 21:02:36

Zahrah I'd say the fact that allergies and intolerances can be so easily and accurately diagnosed due to universal healthcare may be something to do with it.

Zahrah5 Mon 14-Nov-16 11:52:08

Celticlassie

There are more readily available allergie tests in other countries as well where every baby is actually under the primary care of paediatrician.
But it could be argued that the world highest allergy rate has besides weaning something to do with the UK's world lowest breastfeeding rate. But that again brings us back to nutrition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now