Talk

Advanced search

BLW causing weight loss!

(10 Posts)
PetrovaFossil1 Sat 22-Oct-16 15:34:48

Hi all, I have a nearly 7 month old and have been doing BLW since 6 months.
He's been brilliant at eating roasted or steamed fruit and veg but not so good at proteins, breads etc.
Since starting he's had about 8 dirty nappies a day which are very runny and has lost weight (still BFing on demand and demand doesn't seem to have changed) and my GP suggested he was getting too much fibre so everything was going right through and I should feed more BRAT foods. I've tried but he won't eat enough banana, toast etc to make a difference. I also caved and tried feeding him baby rice off a spoon but he refused entirely.
Any tips?

bigmamapeach Sat 22-Oct-16 15:43:34

What are brat foods? Babies do have quite high nutrient needs for their size so good to include some protein, calorie and iron dense things. Do eggs work eg as omelettes, tortillas? Meat and fish dishes (watch for bones) - esp oily fish? Little sandwiches? Cubes of cheese? Beans (baked beans on toast), hummus, dal etc (not very blw ish but lots of protein and other good things). Pasta twirls cooked soft in a creamy sauce etc? Eggy bread? Savoury pancakes rolled up with fillings... Etc...

AppleYumYum Sat 22-Oct-16 15:45:02

Banana
Rice
Apple sauce
Toast - white

AppleYumYum Sat 22-Oct-16 15:53:11

Was he exclusively breast fed? Just wondering if he might be allergic or sensitive to dairy? I've had two with cows milk protein allergies and their poo was always runny. I only discovered at 6 months after starting weaning, one had a bit of porridge made with cows milk, the other on the second day of having some yogurt.

bigmamapeach Sat 22-Oct-16 17:40:55

Ahhhh.. Thank you never heard that before. Not sure what to think re the runny poo.... This page could be useful has some general info on symptoms allergies if you are worried about that

www.allergyuk.org/advice-for-parents-with-a-new-baby/weaning-your-baby-on-to-solids

But if so prob get advice from gp. Generally now they advise not excluding specific foods when weaning from 6months unless you know there might already be an allergy, as introducing the foods is now thought to play a role in reducing allergies not bringing them on (if that makes sense).

High fat things like avocado might also be useful?

Poos likely to be runny when babies diet is majority bm still, until they are taking much larger amounts of solids. But you would hope not to see blood or mucus or watery poo (=diarrhoea). Sorry if not v helpful

PetrovaFossil1 Sat 22-Oct-16 22:34:29

I hadn't considered an actual allergy but that's a good point. Yes, he was fully breastfed prior to this. I was giving him yogurt (on a silicon pastry brush which he loves). I wonder if that did cause issues.

I've tried omelette, eggy bread etc but I don't think he eats much, if any of it. He did like houmous though. I'll persist but cut back on variety for now and maybe stick to one food type alone for 3 days to test out any allergies.

PetrovaFossil1 Sat 22-Oct-16 22:35:44

Just to note that yep, I expected runny poo as still majority breastfed but this was definitely diarrhoea. Mostly water with some mucus plus obviously the weight loss is an issue.

bigmamapeach Sun 23-Oct-16 20:40:54

Hmm diarrhoea for a month.... Hmmmm... I am not sure what to think as you have already been to gp. Did you and gp think baby well hydrated, alert, active, doing stuff? Watery poo with mucus for the month?? I am NOT A DOCTOR (or hcp) but feel a bit skeptical this could result from too much fibre. I am wondering if you could get a second medical opinion or back to gp - if it has definitely persisted for that long?? A tummy bug would usually sort itself out pretty quickly.

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Sun 23-Oct-16 20:44:49

Toss veg and potatoes in olive oil or butter before giving it to him , would he eat things like pasta and baked beans

PetrovaFossil1 Thu 27-Oct-16 15:30:06

Just thought I'd update. It seems it must have been a stomach bug that lingered (possibly aggravated by adding solids).
I fed constipating food for a couple of days then went right back into normal stuff and it's been fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now