Talk

Advanced search

Weaning at 4 months?

(9 Posts)
Hatade16 Wed 19-Oct-16 11:24:58

Dd has bad reflux, it's been mentioned to wean her early to help. She's currently 3 months and is having 8oz every 2/3 hours and still wakes every 2 hours at night.

But I really want to do blw when she's 6 months. Can I give baby rice etc and then move onto blw when she's 6 months? Or do I just wait? I'm so confused! I weaned my other two at 4months but that was 8 years ago!

StrawberryQuik Wed 19-Oct-16 13:39:27

Why was she advised to wean, is she in pain with the reflux or dropping weight? If it were me in either of those cases I'd started weaning but if I had a 'happy chucked' I'd probably be wary of early weaning and ask more questions (but I have allergies in the family)

I don't see why you couldn't start weaning with purées now and then switch at 6 months. In my head the baby rice etc seems more like 'medicine' to help the milk stay down rather than food.

Penguina Thu 27-Oct-16 15:10:09

My ds has reflux and on ranitidine for it. He is a happy chucker now so I will not be doing it early. He also feeds every 2 hours through the day.

As pp said if she's not dropping weight or in pain I personally don't see why you would need to start until 6 months.

Her reflux will probably get better soon anyway as she starts to sit up and her flap matures.

FATEdestiny Thu 27-Oct-16 15:19:35

She's currently 3 months and is having 8oz every 2/3 hours

Try giving 8oz every 2 hours through the daytime and give a dummy.

You realise there are more calories per volume in formula than any solids you give? Don't pin any hopes on early weaning making any difference to night wakes.

I weaned my other two at 4months but that was 8 years ago!

The advise to give no solids before 6 months has been NHS advice for over 15 years.

Hatade16 Thu 27-Oct-16 15:39:32

She's gone the complete other way now, she won't take anything. 4oz at the most. She had 4oz at 10 and 3oz at 2. She's just not interested in it sad

FATEdestiny Thu 27-Oct-16 16:02:43

8oz bottles are massive for a 3 month old anyway. So maybe she's just settling to more reasonable sizes feeds.

Little and often milk feeds are ideal for babies with reflux.

Is she dropping centiles?

How old?

SnotGoblin Thu 27-Oct-16 16:09:33

Who 'mentioned' early weaning? Was it a health professional or well meaning friend/relative? I personally wouldn't wean early and be led by your baby regarding her intake (if she is putting on weight and generally well/healthy).

HeCantBeSerious Thu 27-Oct-16 16:10:30

I wouldn't. There's nothing good in baby rice and it will get her used to bland mush.

Littleelffriend Mon 05-Dec-16 20:37:54

My dd is 7 months and never takes more than 5oz seems a lot of milk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now