Baby refusing savoury food

(10 Posts)
KatEmThe Sun 28-Aug-16 13:44:25

Hi everyone, happy bank holiday!

I posted a thread a week or so ago about my DD waking up in the night for the 1st time since she was a few weeks old when I started weaning. She is still doing this (waking up hungry) I give her a 5oz bottle then she goes back off to sleep.

My DD is nearly 6 months old.

Anyway, the last few days, she's been refusing to eat anything savoury! Completely shuts her mouth and won't open it, won't feed herself it if I give her the spoon. If I give her fruit or yogurt she will eat that, except today, she point blank refused to eat anything!

Have any of you been through this before? Any advice on how to get around it?

I make her food myself, I'm now considering trying her with a packet/jar? What do you all think?

misstweedyweedy Sun 28-Aug-16 20:29:31

No advice but my ds is over 8 mo and eats only yoghurt, with tiny nibbles on whatever finger food I offer. I've tried bought food as well as home made and it didn't make any difference, still clamping his mouth shut. That's not to say yours won't though.

I wouldn't be too worried at 6 months as she's still only really starting to get the hang of food. Maybe just keep offering whatever you're having without pressuring her ( not saying you are pressuring her btw).

Also interested in any other replies.

KatEmThe Sun 28-Aug-16 21:03:03

I think she's trying to get one over on me to be honest and she knows what she wants which is the sweet stuff. I'm going to offer her more finger food and see how she gets on.

Yeh I'm not worrying too much about it. Does your DS wake in the night? My DD does since weaning.

misstweedyweedy Mon 29-Aug-16 07:35:49

Haha can't blame her for trying.

Yes he wakes in the night, but then always has. I think it's mostly habit now (but also pretty warm in our house so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until the cooler weather comes in.) I find him standing at the side of the cot if I leave him long enough.

Churchillian Mon 29-Aug-16 07:50:51

I'd just keep giving her stuff to try at the moment - she's so little and food is just for fun/experimenting with until 1. Don't stress if she doesn't eat it. My eldest daughter who's now 3.5 refused most things when we started weaning at 6.5 months apart from tiny amounts of Greek yoghurt and potatoes - now she eats pretty much everything. Waking up in the night in babies is not really linked to how much they eat unfortunately - it's more to do with developmental stages. Don't stress and be prepared to spend a tedious amount of time cleaning up food that has been chucked on the floor or mushed. I'd just give her a tiny amount of what you're having, as a finger food or mashed up if it's easier to eat that way.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Mon 29-Aug-16 08:01:04

When I weaned my DS, I got told by the health visitor that he was probably waking at night because he was hungry and advised upping his calorie intake in the day - difficult when they don't eat and you want them to have less milk so they'll eat more food!!
Babies naturally have a liking for sweeter food - breast milk is quite sweet.
Have you tried butternut squash purée or sweet potato or carrot?

bittapitta Mon 29-Aug-16 08:03:37

She's only 6mo! Food is for fun before one. she isn't trying to get one over on you, how bizarre. Just keep offering a whole range of foods.

misstweedyweedy Mon 29-Aug-16 11:03:58

That's reassuring about your daughter churchillian, I keep thinking he will probably find an interest in food eventually, but it saps your enthusiasm for it in the meantime. He did nab my sandwich last night which is the first time he's gone for something on my plate.

KatEmThe Mon 29-Aug-16 20:12:24

The 'one over over me' was a joke!

I know, I truly am aware that it's all for fun until they are one but I think we all worry when your child doesn't eat. Whether he/she is 6 months old or 16 year old. I just want her to be satisfied and not go to bed hungry. She doesn't take that much milk either.

Yeh blue I've tried all of that. She was really keen with it all at first, it's just the last few days she's started closing her mouth completely.

church that's what route plan go down, just start giving her little bits. Although I did try her today with a Ella's kitchen mix today and she ate some of that but I want her to be eating the home cooked food.

misstweedy that's good. how much milk does your DS take a day?

bittapitta Mon 29-Aug-16 21:21:55

At 6mo her main nutrition AND calories should be from milk. No need to worry about how much solids she takes yet. That is what "food is for fun before one" means.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now