Talk

Advanced search

What is your 1 yo able to eat.

(6 Posts)
FifiFerusha Sun 21-Aug-16 13:03:01

Hi,

So my DS is a very greedy 13 mo. He doesn't have much interest at all for breakfast though but he seems ok to have a little bit and will make up for it for the rest of the day. However, he has always been fed blended home cooked food alongside finger foods. But, he still isn't very good with his finger foods. He used to eat meatballs and now gags on them. He struggles with pieces of pasta so I have to cut them up and put them in sauce to spoon feed him. He just enjoys being spoon fed so much. He even has started to try and spoon feed himself which is great but still struggles with lumpy things. I have started to to half blend half cut his foods to help him get used to it but end up having to just re blend it again. I would really like him to enjoy proper meals with us. How long should I keep blending his food for? After googling I think it should be normal for most 13 mo to be better at eating finger food and proper foods than my DS. I don't want to be blending forever, and him to just be used to that.

I have tried not offering any spoon fed food and he will eat bits and bobs(mainly peas for some reason) but he soon loses interest. I was thinking it was because he wasn't hungry but he points to the microwave(god forbid) and says 'dat, dat' so I always end up giving him his spoon fed food.

So, what can your one year old handle, and any amazing breakfast tips as my DS just isn't a morning eater ? Even when bf, he never wanted a morning feed(strange) . Any advice much appreciated x

louise987 Tue 23-Aug-16 13:05:13

My 1yr old is similar, I wouldn't worry too much, they are all different! Have you spoken to your HV about it?

You said your DS has peas, my DD seems to prefer little things to pick up (like Cheerios!) so the only way I've managed to give her proper food is if I cut it up small. She seems to enjoy the challenge of picking small bits up. Big chunks she isn't interested in! Might be worth a go?

Things like small chunks of cucumber, tomato, cheese, potato etc, maybe with some peas mixed in for good measure and to get him interested!

Artandco Wed 31-Aug-16 14:38:47

At 13 months mine would eat what we had. But had never been given puree so I suppose had more time from 6-12 months to practice

Iguessyourestuckwithme Wed 31-Aug-16 14:40:31

I stopped purees at 9/10 months. Dc 13 months eats everything pasta, chunks of chicken, pizza, everything that his 2 year old sister eats. He spoon feeds himself or uses his fingers.

NickyEds Thu 01-Sep-16 13:36:33

I have a 13 month old dd and she eats pretty much everything we eat. What about things like crumpets, omelette, wraps, things that are just large and not cut up at all? My dd can also just about manage to spoon feed herself as long as it's not too wet (she can't manage soup unless it's got lads of bread in!)so if your ds is doing that then I'd just let him. Mealtimes can sometimes take a while when dd feeds herself.

Nottalotta Tue 06-Sep-16 18:42:31

My 13 month old eats most things that I do. I did blw so he started at 6 months with finger foods. I do spoon feed some things now such ad yogurt and weetabix, but he will eat sausage, meatballs, we have fresh fusilli (quite big) and he shovels it in. He's had a lot of practice though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now