Talk

Advanced search

Have I done the wrong thing?

(4 Posts)
Whynotnowbaby Tue 16-Aug-16 15:59:38

DS is just over 5mo, he can sit unaided and put food into his mouth himself. When he started sitting we started to put him in the highchair to join us during family meals. No food initially but he started grabbing things from DDs plate and shoving it in his mouth. I then decided he might be ok with starting on solid food and have been giving him steamed broccoli, carrots, Apple and bits of bread to chew on during our mealtimes. He doesn't eat much but is definitely swallowing some of it (as evidenced by his nappies). We didn't wean dd until almost exactly 6 months and I am now worrying that we shouldn't have let DS have food until then either. Should I stop giving him food for a bit or is it a bit late to stop now he's started (been doing it about a week?) what harm could it do? Thanks in advance for any advice

LikeaSnowflake Tue 16-Aug-16 16:10:57

I think my DD had some bits of food here or there between about 5 and a half months and 6 months. Not that she swallowed a lot really. She never would eat purees and liked to feed herself finger food but only really took to it at 6.5 months and now at 10months there is no stopping her.

NHS website says this :

Every baby is an individual, but there are three clear signs that, together, show your baby is ready for solid foods alongside breast milk or formula. It's very rare for these signs to appear together before your baby is six months old.
1. They can stay in a sitting position and hold their head steady.
2. They can co-ordinate their eyes, hands and mouth so they can look at the food, pick it up and put it in their mouth, all by themselves.
3. They can swallow food. Babies who are not ready will push their food back out with their tongue, so they get more round their face than they do in their mouths.

So although the guidelines are six months they acknowledge that every baby is different.

DD is 5 1/2mo and she has had a tiny amount of food which she pushes out so I know she isn't ready. I think DS will be fine. Babies have been weaned at 4mo before it changed back to 6months and I doubt they have come to any harm by it

Dontfencemein Mon 05-Sep-16 21:09:29

I was recently at an NHS led advice session and they suggested to only give veg and fruit before 6 months. After that the baby can try all family food (with a few exceptions which you will probably find if you Google).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now