Talk

Advanced search

Bottles and cups question

(3 Posts)
adagio Thu 11-Aug-16 14:32:31

My DD is now 6 months old so we are just starting weaning - mixture of BLW and spooning shit puree into her. Fine, I'm ok with that.

She is currently EBF too, never bothered with bottles and don't particularly want to start now, BUT I'll be going back to work in a few months. I would like to offer formula in a cup of some description, so when I dump her into nursery she can have water with meals and formula from cups. This never came up with DD1 as she was older when she went to nursery so was basically down to boob in AM and PM and cows milk or water in the day.

So far, DD2 seems to like a doidy or open cup (shockingly messy as you can imagine) or a tommy tippee with a straw. I've only tried water so far.

Does anyone here use a 'cup' for formula? If so, which one have you had success with - and do I need to sterilise or is it only proper baby bottles which need sterilising? I can't get my head around how to properly clean a 'straw' cup if it had milk in it, and I sincerely doubt that nursery will be keen on the open cup approach (don't blame them!).

Thoughts and experiences would be most welcome grin

user1471018458 Fri 12-Aug-16 17:42:57

We use a Tomme tippee first cup free flow one. You know the ones you can buy off the shelf in tesco. She could do it herself from about 7 months two handed. But I introduced from 6 months and just helped her hold it. She does rather like to tip it upside down though and watch it flow out onto her lap so it needs supervision. But she can certainly drink from it no problem. Hope that helps!

Artandco Fri 12-Aug-16 17:45:46

I used doidy or just a thick glass tumbler from set we already had. Used for expressed milk. Just washed in hot soapy water or dishwasher, no steriliser. By 6 months they are grabbing stuff of the floor and probably rolling and already getting 100s of germs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now