Talk

Advanced search

BLW advice

(8 Posts)
firsttimemum15 Mon 08-Aug-16 20:26:49

Hello

I'm BLW started a 6 mo. Baby is now 7 mo plus one week.

I haven't been able to find the answer to my question.

I started with one meal a day. I may gave the odd bit of food at other times but when should I properly introduce a second meal time?

Should I just do it or wait for milk feeds to drop (hard to tell as BF on demand and I introduced tea first so possibly less scope for a feed to drop?) Still seems to tske the same amount of milk feeds.

Gardencentregroupie Mon 08-Aug-16 20:32:19

I just did it when it suited me really. I think I started with lunch, then began to give her fruit/yoghurt/toast strips/banana pancakes/porridge fingers at breakfast. Dinner was last to be introduced; I started that when she was a little bit older and still had some energy in the evenings. She found self feeding exhausting in the early stages!

SimplyNigella Mon 08-Aug-16 20:39:59

The phrase that I kept reminding myself of is "food before 1 is just for fun". I offered DS food whenever I was eating or whenever he showed an interest. At nursery they offered him food at every meal and snack time but he often just took milk and didn't start wanting proper meals and snacks until well after 1.

firsttimemum15 Mon 08-Aug-16 20:48:43

I wanted to started with breakfast but there's a possible milk allergy.

So moved it to tea so I could bath straight after.

Yes I keep reminding myself of that phrase too. I do similar bit of something here and there if I'm eating but didn't know if I should be doing more.

I'm honestly finding this more stressful than it needs to be.

She has started eating more at tea. So I have wanted to do more than just a vegetable or a fruit. So she had a bit of spag bol the other night. I have to admit though I find the mess difficult to cope with smile

I question if I'm doing it right or should be giving more of a lunch or breakfast

SimplyNigella Mon 08-Aug-16 21:09:46

I realise it's very easy for me to say now I'm out the other side of it but try to relax and go with the flow. If you want to try something more then the BLW Facebook page has great recipes for finger foods like sweetcorn fritters that you can make ahead and freeze then just defrost a couple here and there to give her something to nibble on.

We have dogs who made sure the mess never hit the floor but I know others recommend putting down a shower curtain under the high chair. The Bibetta sleeved bibs are fab too.

JellyMouldJnr Mon 08-Aug-16 21:12:59

Agree with simply nigella. BLW is supposed to be low stress. From 7 months I would just offer something whenever you have a meal. The baby won't overeat.

firsttimemum15 Wed 10-Aug-16 09:26:18

Thanks jelly and Nigella I'm new to it. I'm worried about salt etc so trying to make sure she doesn't get too much of the bad stuff. I don't cook with salt but it's in every day foods. Not necessarily trying at every meal yet. Did a bit of breakfast today. X

Nan0second Wed 10-Aug-16 09:28:49

I just gave her something at every meal time. If she ate it, great, if not, it didn't matter. At 7 months, she was having meat / veg / bread / whatever I cooked. She has CMPA but it wasn't a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now