Talk

Advanced search

Weaning a high birthweight baby??

(3 Posts)
ABBEY060410 Sat 30-Jul-16 08:58:46

Hello all,
I have been searching the internet for advise on weaning my little boy who was born at 11.8. He has continued to grow at a rapid rate and at 5 months old he is currently around 21 pounds and wearing 9-12 clothes he's also about as tall as many friends 1 year olds! (me and dad are average sized)
This is leaving me questioning how to go about weaning , he's having baby porridge for breakfast, dinner with fruit puree for pudding, and 3 8 ounce bottles. This doesn't seem to fill him, he wont take any more milk and I'm worried about giving a 5 month old 3 meals a day as i dont want him to drop any more milk?!?!?
Any advice would be welcomed!!
Thanx in advance

SpeakNoWords Sat 30-Jul-16 10:29:35

I don't think you need to do anything different when weaning a baby that is on a higher weight centile (assuming they're healthy). My DS was not quite a large as yours at birth, but he was nearly 10lbs. He stayed high on both weight and height centiles. We weaned at 6 months and did baby led weaning, which he took to really well. I fed him to his appetite at that age, so he ate loads sometimes and less at other times. I did prioritise breastfeeding over food in the early months, so I'd offer food about an hour after a milk feed so that he wasn't starving hungry or too full to be interested. We didn't drop milk feeds for a fair while.

3 bottles a day at 5 months doesn't seem very many - could you try smaller amounts more frequently?

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 02-Aug-16 10:25:10

What speak says.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now