Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to offer milk? What sort?

(10 Posts)
Nottalotta Mon 04-Jul-16 10:14:59

Ds is 11.5 months and ebf. He's a bottle refuser. He is eating solids well, and drinks water from a sippy cup. Mil sometimes gives him warm milk when she has him.

I am pregnant again, and really want to stop breastfeeding. I am going to try cutting night feeds out to start. But after that, do I need to replace breastfeed with either formula or cows milk/other?

He does three days a week with no bf as I work.

RiverTam Mon 04-Jul-16 10:16:58

Cows milk, no feed for 'follow on formula'. I think at that age DD had a cup in the morning, after her lunchtine nap and before bed.

Bottomchops Mon 04-Jul-16 10:19:20

Yes cow's milk in a cup. Is a pint a day they need? Can't remember! A cup in the morning and a cup at bedtime.

Nottalotta Mon 04-Jul-16 15:24:11

A pint a day?! Thanks, will start giving him milk then, should I replace the water he has with meals, with milk?

Bottomchops Mon 04-Jul-16 15:54:14

It's half a pint. Check the NHS page for advice.

Nottalotta Mon 04-Jul-16 18:57:17

Half a pint seems more manageable. I will, thanks.

CaitAgusMadra Tue 05-Jul-16 21:19:28

The quantity of milk includes any used in cooking and other dairy such as yoghurt and cheese.

newmumwithquestions Sat 09-Jul-16 07:44:30

Can you wait until 12 months for the cows milk as a drink?
That's the nhs advice
I'd give some formula until then

Nicnak2223 Tue 12-Jul-16 13:13:38

I think for the sake of 2 weeks op will be fine to give cows milk.

Nottalotta Tue 12-Jul-16 15:51:59

Thanks all, I'm going to tackle night feeds and sleep when I have a couple of weeks off in August. In the meantime I will start offering cows milk as a drink at snack times - it won't be replacing bf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now