When to wean?

(7 Posts)
sh700 Tue 21-Jun-16 22:40:20

I weaned dc1 at 6 months as per the doh advice. Dc2 is now nearly 4 months and starting to think about it. A friend recently mentioned that the advice was changing to recommend weaning earlier again. Anyone know anything about this? I know there's been some research that suggests allergy rates have increased since weaning later but that's all.

Marinamaroo Tue 21-Jun-16 23:32:14

Hi Sh700
Advice from most health experts is to wait until the baby is 6 months. kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/delay-solids/
It's understood that baby's digestive tract will only be mature enough to cope with solid food from around 6 months of age.

sh700 Tue 21-Jun-16 23:47:22

Thanks that's a really helpful link. Off to have a proper read of some of the studies but glad I don't have to worry about doing anything more stressful than flopping a boob out for a while longer! grin

Cocolocos Wed 22-Jun-16 13:28:40

My HV told me that there is a lot of discussion about changing the guidelines back to 4-6 months. But currently official advice is 6 months.

Pinkheart5915 Wed 22-Jun-16 13:29:34

The advice is 6 months

GirlSailor Tue 05-Jul-16 00:02:38

Experts seem to be waiting for a particular study to come out, after which they may reasses back to 4-6 months but the advice remains at 6 months for now as pp have said.

Given that there isn't enough iron in breast milk from 6 months, waiting until then puts a lot of pressure to get them to eat something straight away I think. It took my daughter a few weeks to really get into eating, and I doubt that's uncommon.

The advice I received was to basically be doing 3 meals a day within a couple of weeks and it's quite a big ajustment. I'm pretty confident about nutrition and love to cook but I could imagine finding it quite difficult if that wasn't my experience.

I've never had it explained to me what the effects of weaning at under 6 months is meant to be, as obviously I was weaned on the old advice of 4+ months.

newmumwithquestions Sat 09-Jul-16 07:19:17

We weaned DD1 early (4.5 months) due to reflux and it worked well as we built up slowly so by the time we were at just over 6 months we were on 3 meals a day without feeling like it was a push. I therefore weaned DD2 a little early (3 weeks but just tiny bits at first).

We're struggling with constipation and I really don't think DD2 would have coped well with waiting until 6 months then progressing quickly to 3 meals a day.

It's personal choice though.
If you do wean early go easy on what you give your DC. Fruit/veg are the easiest things for them to process at first (with maybe a little baby rice).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now