Talk

Advanced search

Cpma and weaning.

(7 Posts)
Zaurak Tue 14-Jun-16 21:45:32

Ds is 8 months and I'm at my wits end with his dreadful sleep. I'm trying a dairy free few weeks to see if it helps (we have docs spots lined up but not for a few weeks and I thought it'd be worth a try.)

Tips for things he can eat? Dinners are fine - he just has what we have (last night chicken, veg, pasta ) but lunches and breakfasts I'm a bit stuck on. He was getting oatmeal for breakfast which he loves but that's got milk in...

Any ideas for quick, simple lunches and breakfasts? For both of us really - it's made me realise I've been existing on tea, toast and yoghurt!

Also if your child did have cpma, how long before you saw a difference?

blueskyinmarch Tue 14-Jun-16 21:51:08

It has been a while since my DC were small but i would assume at 8 months milk would still play a big part in their nutrition. I am not sure i would do this without getting medical advice. On the other hand i assume that some babies are lactose intolerant and there are substitutes that can be used. Soya milk and products maybe?

thereareworsethingsicoulddo Tue 14-Jun-16 21:55:28

There is a CMPA weaning Facebook page.
Oat milk is the recommended substitute.
My 9 month old who is severely allergic to cow's milk tends to eat things like-

Fruit for breakfast or cereal with oat milk, scrambled egg, toast
Salad, sandwiches, wraps for lunch. You can get diary free butter and cheese too.
Dinners are pasta etc, he has what we have where possible or Ella's pouches

thereareworsethingsicoulddo Tue 14-Jun-16 21:56:53

He's breastfed and never tolerated cow's milk since I tried formula very early on and be reached so severely so can't answer your question re how quickly I noticed a difference...sorry

Zaurak Tue 14-Jun-16 22:33:04

He's breastfed mainly, just with the addition of foods after a milk feed so I'm not too worried about nutrition right now. Obviously if we see a big difference then it'll be a different matter because it'll be a longer term thing, but for now he's getting from me what he needs smile I just wanted to try a couple of dairy free weeks before we see the doc.

GraceGrape Tue 14-Jun-16 22:39:13

Cereal as normal but with a milk substitute. They can be used from 6 months, just not as a main drink. Eggs also possible, although some children who can't tolerate dairy also have a problem with eggs. Does he eat finger foods? Lunch could be sandwiches with sliced meat/fish (eg tuna), hummus or nut butters. Beans on toast? Otherwise, you could batch cook and freeze dairy free meals such as bolognaise, shepherds pie, casserole etc and just give him those at lunch time as well as dinner.

fluffikins Wed 15-Jun-16 07:07:28

I just give mine normal foods just substitute the milk for oat or coconut milk, use olive or coconut oil rather than butter in cooking. Cheese is tricky but I find mixed herbs help give things like omelettes a bit more flavour without having to add the gross cheese substitutes which in my mind are just oil and salt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now