Talk

Advanced search

Help me understand if I'm doing this correctly!

(2 Posts)
iemma321q Thu 09-Jun-16 17:45:34

My little boy has just turned 8 months old and as he is my pfb and I have no friends with babies to compare with, I was hoping some of you lovely people would help me out. My question is what does your little one eat on an average day? I don't know if I'm giving him enough or if he is having enough variety. Looking forward to gaining some inspiration too!

Poppytime Fri 10-Jun-16 09:52:53

Hello! My DS has just turned 8 months too, if it helps a typical day for us in terms of food is:

Breakfast - porridge (aptimal multigrain 7+ or boots own) / piece of fruit like pear / baby yoghurt

Lunch - chicken casserole (Annabel karmel recipe) and mashed potato/sweet potato or baby pasta with hidden veg sauce or salmon and spinach with mashed potato / lamb stew with green veg (or Ella's kitchen if we are out!). If still hungry some fruit / yoghurt

Dinner - similar to lunch or recently have tried him with scrambled egg and toast fingers spread with unsalted butter for him to hold, crumpet etc

He still has 4 bottles a day (just moved to formula from bfding for various reasons so he doesn't take huge amounts yet).

I want to make some more exciting finger food next, I remember doing some with with DD, good things were mini fish cakes, home made fish fingers or chicken goujons, cooked carrot sticks, pancakes etc. Do you have any books? I like the Gill rapley BLW one (it's the classic) and I have another called finger foods for baby and toddlers, or something, which is good for inspiration.

Have you tried rice yet? As in proper rice not baby rice. I want to get a bigger range of carbs into him as tend toward some kind of mashed veg/potato as an accompaniment and need to vary it! I batch freeze quite a bit as easier as also have to feed my toddler DD. I am not averse to Ella's etc when out though, and have let him chew on pieces of bread etc if eating out. I haven't done loads of finger food I think because he is such a good eater being spoon fed but I know I should do more!

I think the easiest (for me) is to move towards him eating what we eat but mashed up a bit, and I'm starting to do that more. Saves a lot of time and effort!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now