Talk

Advanced search

Weaning is getting me down

(6 Posts)
user1465223829 Mon 06-Jun-16 15:57:32

Hi all,
My little ones 8month and up until now things have been going great, we started weaning at 5 1/2 month and its been fab she's loving food but as soon as we tried to move on to mash and small lumps she dosnt want to know just spits it straight out and refuses to even try It bought some of thouse feeding nets and she is loving feeding her self the problem is me I'm terrified to give her whole prices of food with out the net I start of with such good intentions but when it comes to giving her some thing I'm ill shaking and I just feel terrified. Iv tried to ask advice from family but there just no help they say I'm over reacting and but I can't stop how I'm feeling and even if they offer to be there when she eats they seem to make me feel more anxious about the whole thing. I just don't no what to do I don't want to keep my baby behind she's doing so well but I don't no how to stop feeling like this

user1464887935 Mon 06-Jun-16 23:45:25

Please don't beat yourself up. It's still such early days and your baby won't be behind. Has something happened that's made you feel worried? It's totally natural to have things we feel worried about when it comes to babies. Could you try taking it one mini step at a time and instead of aiming for lots of food just try for one mega steamed carrot baton for your lo to pick up and play with? It'll soon go to mush if it's been well steamed enough and your lo might be able to explore it and have fun. You could eat one at the same time as they love to copy? Best wishes and go easy on yourself. You sound like you care a lot xxx

user1465223829 Tue 07-Jun-16 19:50:40

There's no reason for me to feel like this she hasn't even had a bad expreience i mean shes gaged a little but nothing to worry me. I just don't know why I feel like this its so frustrating I just feel faint n so panicky when it comes to whole foods with her I have friends doing blw and I think it's amazing to see how the manage but when it comes to my lil one even the suggestion of some thing whole sends me into a mad panics. I just don't no what to do or who to turn to like I say my family just arnt any support

Ffion3107 Tue 07-Jun-16 20:03:14

Don't worry about the gagging, it's a natural way of stopping her from choking, so is a good sign.
Just a few ideas of soft foods you might like to try with her,
Toast, crackerbread with a little bit of butter, banana (cut into fingers), grated apple, blueberries, strawberries, cooked carrot sticks, broccoli, cauliflower, DD liked the heinz biscotti and goodies carrot sticks too!
Have you tried giving her the spoon when you've blended her food?

Ifiwasabadger Tue 07-Jun-16 20:07:27

I hated weaning-!! my now lost three year old was hellish. Gagged, refused food...even now is a tiny tiny eater. I find it so stressful. I think longingly of the days when I just gave Her bottles. When will it get easier?!?!?

sophiaslullaby Tue 21-Jun-16 15:09:44

I really looked forward to weaning, bought/library-borrowed all the books and cooked up batches of puree then started weaning at 5.5months....DS took to it well but i hate it too. Noticed I dislike it more when tired and on my own.
I've gone the puree - lumpy puree route with occasionally hand held steamed veg for him.

But was at a family dinner other day and I happily gave DS bits of my dinner to play and chew on, other family members were shocked but i was happy & calm and so was DS. So are you able to feed your LO with someone else present (this also strangely helps my DS eat, he fidgets when it's just me present)?
I went to a baby safely course at our Children's Centre too. Ok, I still feel nervous giving my baby chunks and panic if he starts to gag but I'd KNOW what to do if he actually choked and this gives me the confidence to give him foods to chew on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now