Talk

Advanced search

Best milk alternative after stopping Neocate?

(12 Posts)
Ringadingdingdong22 Fri 06-May-16 21:52:04

DC2 has an intolerance to milk protein and has been on Neocate since 6mths. He's now 12mths and I have one tin left, the prescription has come to an end. I use oat milk in place of cows milk at the moment for cereal etc. I am wondering what would be best nutrionally to give instead of his 2 x bottles a day of Neocate. Would be interested to hear what others give their DC.

dementedpixie Fri 06-May-16 22:18:03

He should be on the prescribed milk until age 2 as far as I am aware.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 09-May-16 08:10:52

Are you under a dietivian?

fluffikins Mon 09-May-16 15:36:26

I think some people switch to oatly, the blue one which is fortified. There are some good facebook groups for cmpa so you could ask in one of those

tinymeteor Mon 09-May-16 22:40:01

Ask your GP to refer you to a community dietician and to renew the neocate prescription until that appointment happens. There's no automatic cut-off at 12 months, and neocate is suitable until 2.

The good news is that most other milk substitutes actually have more calcium than neocate (eg soya milk has twice as much) but you need the GP or dietician to help you to choose a substitute based on the whole picture of his allergies and diet. You also need some extra neocate to tide you over while making the change, in case he doesn't take to the first one you try.

Ringadingdingdong22 Tue 10-May-16 22:30:01

He was under a dietician. When I spoke to her last I had started him on some dairy. He seems to be ok with cooked dairy I.e. in a sauce, cakes etc, cheese spread, the odd fromage frais, but he can't seem to handle milk. She said he probably has a certain tolerance but actual milk tips it over the edge. She said I could swap to something other than neocate such as soya. I just wasn't sure if there was one alternative that was best.

Since writing this I've tried him on a few bottles of oatly (blue carton), which he's taken without any fuss. I was using it on cereal etc for him anyway.

I was given the impression they don't prescribe neocate past 12mths.

fluffikins Wed 11-May-16 07:12:42

If he's cmpa he could well be allergic to soya too as they're similar proteins so I'd caution using soya milk. Have you done the milk ladder with him?

guiltynetter Wed 11-May-16 07:20:53

my daughter had CMPA and sas on neocate. when she was 1 the dietician recommended we swap to Alpro +1 soya milk. it's fortified with vitamins. surprised nobodies mentioned this yet, everyone I know with CMPA babies has gone onto it.

www.alpro.com/uk/products/drinks/soyaplus1/growthdrink

NoBetterName Wed 11-May-16 07:30:08

DS2 carries an epipen for his milk allergy (he's now 8 years old). He was breastfed until 13 months and then moved onto Neocate, not the one for babies but Neocate Active which is specially for toddlers and comes in flavoured as well as unflavoured forms. They don't like to prescribe it because it is very expensive and it your lo can cope with cooked milk, is probably unnecessary anyway.

Alpro do this 1+ milk now and our dietician said soya was fine after they reached a year old. It has more calories than oat milk too.

tinymeteor Wed 11-May-16 09:42:52

DD has CMPA but is not soya allergic, so the Alpro +1 has been fine for us. But we only switched to it after allergy testing had ruled out soya allergy. OP, has your baby had allergy tests done?

ElspethFlashman Wed 11-May-16 09:47:41

We just stayed in Neocate up till about 18 months, at which time he had dropped both bottles. Or rather he still had the bottles but they had slowly been diluted since 12 months to being 100% water.

We never swapped to other milks as he eats more with water and has tons of calcium in his diet.

fraggle84 Thu 26-May-16 19:57:56

Ask for neocate active it's for 1-10 years old

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now