Do you give your baby dessert?

(17 Posts)
HollyC255552 Mon 14-Mar-16 16:37:46

Just that really...curious as i always give DD some yoghurt.

TeaBelle Mon 14-Mar-16 16:41:34

Yes, normally fruit or plain yoghurt with fruit.puree mixed in. Flavoured yoghurt if she's eaten nothing else sweet that day

Cuttheraisins Mon 14-Mar-16 16:42:41

It depends what you mean by 'baby' and by 'yogurt', are you talking about a 6 month old or older? And about real live yogurt that is not loaded with sugar or petit-filou type 'fromage frais'? petit filou is full of sugar and I wouldn't give it to a baby. Not even to a toddler. Yogurt yes though. Or fruit.

juniperdingleberries Mon 14-Mar-16 16:43:17

DD (8mo) has yoghurt, tinned/fresh fruit, rice pudding (you can get tiny pots of it that are lower in sugar etc), fruity rice cakes, or occasionally one of the Heinz biscottis.
She eats like a horse though!

HollyC255552 Mon 14-Mar-16 16:55:11

Thanks all, rice pudding sounds good, i think she'd like that. DD is 8 months so wanted to start varying it up a bit. Is fruit puree best doing yourself or buying it?

TeaBelle Mon 14-Mar-16 16:57:10

Rice pudding is easy enough to make yourself - just pudding rice boiled in milk. I buy purée because we only use it quite rarely - we did blw so only use it to sweeten. Bit if you are relying on puree every day then I would say make your own simply down to cost

juniperdingleberries Mon 14-Mar-16 18:48:16

I buy Ella's kitchen fruit purée. DD only has it mixed in with weetabix/yoghurt/rice pud. The sachets last 48 hours in the fridge and she only has a little bit at a time so it doesn't cost us much. Maybe try something soft like banana, or tinned pear?

Sflood Tue 15-Mar-16 13:40:26

I usually try to give them fruit during the week and then something sweeter at the weekend.

Artandco Tue 15-Mar-16 13:50:02

We haven't here. Dh and I very rarely eat desert. Usually only when eating out sometimes. Therefore we have never given desert as standard daily. They are primary school age now and have something at school daily, and at home at things like Christmas, birthdays or if we have guests over for a dinner party type thing.

FreeButtonBee Tue 15-Mar-16 13:58:22

My 7mo has fruit after/with most meals. Always whole fruit - so chunks of banana, whole raspberries or blackberries. Peaches are going down very well today. Pear, melon, halved grapes, chunks of strawberry.

He occasionally gets some plain full fat Greek yoghurt with a tiny bit of homemade stewed fruit. Once a week maybe. And the odd bit of cake or muffin or croissant (third child, all BLWed)

HeyMicky Tue 15-Mar-16 13:58:32

Not always. I give the DDs two courses, but that could be any combination of starter, main, pudding and cheese, depending on what else they've eaten during the day.

So they might have veggie soup followed by cheese and crackers if I think they need some extra veg and dairy. Or they might have a little starter of crudités and dip, followed by a main and skip pudding altogether. Pudding happens probably three days a week, and that could be fruit, yoghurt, or something sweeter.

I try not to punctuate every meal with something sweet to finish; equally, pudding is not dependent on finishing their previous course, as I've done the nutrition maths for the day, IYSWIM, and allowed for it

NickyEds Wed 16-Mar-16 09:22:44

Not generally, we do for special meals or once in a while if I've been arsed to make something but not as a matter of course. If we all stop for coffee and cake on a day out they can have a bit of our cake so I'm not against having anything sweet ever, just not after every meal. Dp was raised in a house where they always had pudding after a meal. It was used as a bribe to get them to eat things they didn't want to and a reward when they are their veg. Dp and his brothers all love puddings, hate veg (dp is by far the best) and have shit teeth, his older brother in particular wouldn't bother with veg at all given the choice!

Gillian1980 Wed 16-Mar-16 15:30:15

DD is 7.5m and I have just started giving her 2 courses at lunch and dinner, with pudding generally being fruit or maybe rice pudding. Occasionally one of the Heinz biscotti things as we got given a few packs as a present.

Her appetite has increased massively in the last week or so and I think she likes the variety that two courses offers.

Dh and I tend to have fruit or yoghurt for pudding every evening so it fits in with what DD will have when she's growing up.

Lweji Wed 16-Mar-16 15:35:32

Not dessert as such or anything sweet, apart from fruit or fruit puree.

I gave yogurt as part of a mid morning or mid afternoon snack. Natural unsweetened.

cavedescreux Wed 16-Mar-16 15:37:48

Chunks of fruit here. Or fingers (eg pear, kiwi). Halved blueberries are a huge hit. Yogurts here and there.

eatsleephockeyrepeat Sat 26-Mar-16 18:52:14

We always give our 9 month old ds dessert and they always offer it at nursery. He's dairy free and stopped bf in the daytime basically as soon as he tasted food, so I do like him to have a soya yoghurt or such-like after meals for all the added calcium and vitamins. Soya yoghurts and stewed fruit/sugar-free jelly with "custard" are the usual offerings, although sometimes he doesn't fancy it.

HarlotBronte Mon 04-Apr-16 20:52:01

Never bothered with a cooked pudding and mine haven't cared for yoghurt, but we often offered fruit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now