Talk

Advanced search

what do I need?

(4 Posts)
Emma321q Wed 02-Mar-16 22:21:24

Hi all

Starting to organise myself for weaning my baby boy. My plan is to start with puréed veg and baby porridge and then slowly introduce finger foods. My question is what items do you think are really useful for a first time mum to wean her baby? I am particularly interested in any advice with regards to blending the veg/ storing/ freezing solutions?

Thank you!

MilkRunningOutAgain Thu 03-Mar-16 10:41:04

A couple of ice cube trays and a stick blender were useful. Make purée, put in ice cube trays, freeze, empty frozen cubes into labelled freezer bag, seal and put back in freezer. If you do a few batches you will soon have a good variety of meals for your lo. And you can mix them up too. I didn't wean til my DC were over 6 months so didn't bother with very smooth purees, and moved quickly onto mashing things. But babies vary, some like very smooth textures, mine weren't much bothered. There's no need to buy special baby food, my DD was happy to gnaw away on normal adult pasta shapes and normal porridge oats from day 1. But with my PSB I did buy baby versions, which he enjoyed.

Emma321q Thu 03-Mar-16 20:37:49

Thanks milkrunningoutagain!! Did you start off with any particular veg/ fruit? What time of day did you start it off?

MilkRunningOutAgain Fri 04-Mar-16 13:46:25

I think I did carrots first, in the middle of the day. Followed by apples and pears. I used an Annabel Karmel book. I got quite carried away and can remember having potato, swede, broccoli, cauliflower, butternut squash and plums too, all in the freezer. My PFB liked to nap for over 2 hours in the middle of the day. So I had a very clean house and did lots of cooking while he snoozed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now