Talk

Advanced search

spoon refuser

(6 Posts)
Whoami24601 Sun 17-Jan-16 09:40:22

DS is 8 mo, and is mostly weaned. We started originally with BLW, but tbh I found the time taken and the mess involved quite stressful! So we moved onto a mixture of spoon feeding and finger foods when convenient (usually lunchtime). Everything was going really well, but the this week he's suddenly started refusing to be spoon fed! He'll eat a bit if you offer it on your finger, but has cut his food intake by about a half sad

Can anyone offer any advice as to why this might be, and what I can do to fix it?

Help!

UmbongoUnchained Sun 17-Jan-16 09:43:08

My daughter refused the spoon. You'll just have to go back to what you were doing. Don't try and force him and dinner time a stressful experience for him. Just make him food that doesn't make a lot of mess. I hate mess but I didn't find BLW at all stressful.

Whoami24601 Sun 17-Jan-16 19:49:09

He's been spoon fed for ages though! It's not like we just switched over or anything! Could it be teething? His cheeks have been very pink lately.

UmbongoUnchained Sun 17-Jan-16 20:20:31

It could be but that's irrelevant. He needs to eat and if he won't take it from a spoon then he will have to do it by hand. Have you tried a fork? My daughter would eat off my fork but not a spoon. Fickle!

BushyTailedPony Sun 17-Jan-16 20:25:40

Mine refuses the spoon 90% of the time unless it's something irresistible (on that day, may as easily refuse it the next). She's 10 months and likes to feed herself. I have a small curved plastic fork that I scoop stuff onto and she'll eat off that herself if I hand it to her.
My first DD ate from a spoon no bother. I can't decide if it's better or worse tbh. At least with DD2 I get to eat myself with two hands. Look on the bright side perhaps and ignore the mess. It'll not be for too much longer.

Scotinoz Tue 19-Jan-16 02:45:12

I have an 8month old who will only eat yoghurt from a spoon, and only put that spoon in her mouth herself. Like BushyTailedPony said, at least you can eat dinner with two hands 😀

Don't think you can fix it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now