Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Toddler toast for breakfast sandwich for lunch anyone else?

(11 Posts)
Poppybella2015 Fri 15-Jan-16 15:43:48

My toddler likes 2 slices of toast fingers with jam for breakfast and a sandwich with either hummus and cucumber, chicken mayo or ham for lunch. So that's 4 slices of bread (minus crusts) a day. Does anyone else's toddler eat this much bread?

Poppybella2015 Fri 15-Jan-16 15:44:47

Forgot to add she eats a big meal of meat and veg in the evenings. She has a big appetite for a 2 year old!

poocatcherchampion Fri 15-Jan-16 15:46:53

Why do you remove crusts?
I try to avoid this with a different breakfast.
It doesnt seem like too much food, just too much bread

Poppybella2015 Fri 15-Jan-16 16:13:28

If I don't remove the crusts she eats around them and leaves most of the bread.

Bragadocia Fri 15-Jan-16 16:15:45

The only issue with the bread really, is that it is often surprisingly high in salt. Would a breakfast revolving around oats be acceptable? Porridge, muesli type things.

Poppybella2015 Fri 15-Jan-16 16:20:58

The problem I have with porridge or weatabix is she only has a spoonful and shouts done. She likes it for a snack later in the morning though, just not before the school run for some reason! I won't lie toast is also easier on school run mornings. I tried to change her lunch to a baked potato today but she wasn't interested. I will try pasta on Monday! I think changing her lunch might be the way foward.

poocatcherchampion Fri 15-Jan-16 20:56:05

Or give her a banana or just some milk before school run?

We have late breakfast here and they eat it well

ExplodingCarrots Fri 15-Jan-16 21:06:52

I asked the HV (I know I know smile) and she said that this was ok.

Poppybella2015 Fri 15-Jan-16 21:22:27

She doesn't drink milk she is dairy free. I've been advised to give her soya milk but if I give her more than 200ml a day she hardly eats anything it seems to really fill her up. She currently has the milk mid afternoon. I worry about her getting enough calcium, a typical day is:

Breakfast: 2 slices of vita light and jam on toast (1 teaspoon of jam she likes it spread really thin)
Snack: lots of fruit (bananas, grapes, orange today)
Lunch: chicken mayo sandwich, cucumber sticks, pepper sticks, fruit purée pouch
Snack: rich tea biscuit and cup of soya milk
Dinner: sausage and bean stew, mash potato, an apple

She eats good quantities but not sure if it is too bread based.

poocatcherchampion Fri 15-Jan-16 21:33:40

Sometimes I give Pitta's, crumpets wraps etc. Or you could make those savoury muffins you see bandied about.
Still floury but might feel better?

FATEdestiny Fri 15-Jan-16 21:41:46

What about trying dry cereal for breakfast? I'm thinking a handful of cherioos. That's easy. Or fruit. I often do fresh fruit salad mixed into yoghurt for breakfast - another quick and easy thing.

For lunch, you could just treble the quantity of filling and forget the bread. My DD will often have slivers of ham, squares of cheese and slices of cucumber for lunch. I could do less of each and serve in a sandwich, but I don't. Equally she could have a pile of tuna mayo, cucumber slices and pepper. Or whatever else I might serve in a sandwich, she just has as lots of filling and no bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now